Thursday, June 01, 2006

Memorial Day

Well, if you didn't guess already, I've been a little bit busy lately. Sorry about the shortage of posts, but I have had no time to sit and write much. Now that the show is almost done with previews, and will open this weekend, I will have more time.

After our many nautical adventures last Summer on the Sweet Freedom yacht, we were happy to embark on it once again on Memorial Day. This time, the crew consisted of Kim and Scott(Captain and First Mate), Sarah and Kelly(Deck Hand and Mermaid), Ryan and Nancy(Sunscreen Patrol),Matt(Half Clothed Duty) and me(Beer Duty).
We boarded at about 12:10PM, and the sun directly above was punishing. Ryan and I immediately slathered on the SPF 300, while I think that Matt and Sarah put Crisco on. Just kidding. I think they both had SPF 2 on at least. The temperature reached 95, with a heat index of 100. I think that I lost 2 pounds that sfternoon alone.
As we left the dock and started really cooking down the Potomac, the wind off the river through our hair helped out.
It had been a year since I had the luxury of feeling that feeling. There is no feeling more freeing. Travelling down the Potomac and seeing the gorgeous trees now in droopy full bloom, and seeing the monuments as we go by...then docking around Mt. Vernon for the afternoon.
One of the visual highlights of the cruise was getting to see the Godspeed, a replica of John Smith's ship that was docked in Old Town Alexandria. I also love to see the Old Steamboat in Old Town. Strains of Show Boat play through my head at its very sight.
Ryan was displaying his now 30 pounds lighter physique, and I have to say, I am quite proud of him. Matt was also showing off his always slender physique, of course.
I wore a burlap sack over mine, however. Ugh. 5 more pounds to go.
As we were about to pack it in for the day and head back to the dock, we all paused to watch the sunset. No, REALLY watch the sunset. Ask yourself when was the last occasion you honestly took the time to do that. It was breathtaking. The waters of the river turned peach, then pink, then purple. Then gone.
As this summer begins it's journey, I was happy to set sail on another cruise with good friends. I took the time to savor the moment completely. The Summer is such a magical time. It is filled with so much beauty, and is always gone before you know what happened to it. You try to hold moments like this in your hand, and before you know it they pass.
Last year, on this very bloggety, I recalled moments of the past Summer. I think I did like 4 or 5 different entries, and I realized then that I coulod write about 50, so I better not get carried away...because...in the end...who gives a shit about SGS's summertime memories? I felt too Martha Stewart saying..."Here of some pictures of my prize winning Hydrangea...I really cherish them".
Then I thought...why the fu*k not?
People tend to share what they care about in conversation with each other...and after all, isn't this just an open conversation that friends, family, and yes, sometimes violent strangers can walk in to? So why not bring it up, you know.
So hell with it, I wrote about the boat, Pacific Overtures, The Tent, My Garden, and the Pool, I believe. If you hated it, so be it.
So when I talk about Summer, I tend to get all nostalgia crazy. I have never lost that feeling of "School's Out for Summer!", ya know? My birthday is in the Summer, The 4th of July is in the Summer, you can suddely wear hardly any clothing and it is deemed socially acceptable in the Summer, and the pool opens and you can then wear that tiny amount of clothing and jump into water with complete strangers in the Summer...that is sometimes not a good thing, however. ;)
So with this the first benchmark of Summer 06 for me, I urge you all to take the time and make memories like this while you have it. The Summer will be gone and we'll be cursing at 12 degree temperatures in stead of 100 soon enough. Take your shirt off, have a cold glass of lemonade, and enjoy it before it fades away.

Luv,
SGS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»