Thursday, February 23, 2006

Cell...my book report.



OK...just finished Cell by Stephen King. *sigh* What a breathtaking ride.
The book shoots you out of a canon from page 2. You never stop after that.
I have always been a fan of Stephen King, but sometimes find him to have a rambling narrarative... Not the case with this sleek and quick novel. You are never checking your watch with this one.
Sure, it bears similarities to many modern works...his own, The Stand....28 Days Later...also, his own-The Long Walk.
But hey...what IS original anymore, right?
The basic premise is such...all of the sudden, anyone on a cell phone gets some frequency that is transmitted through it that makes them go feral. They attack anyone around them in blind rage. Catastrophe springs forth. More people call people on cell phones to see what is going on...they are taken by "The Pulse" as well, and join the madness. And on and on. The world quickly goes ker-plewy.
Soon, we are focused on our main character, Clay. He is a regular guy, as is usually the case, caught in a web of violent and startling evolution. Or revolution. He is written so comfortably, you feel like you have known him for your whole life.
I will not throw away the plot twists involving those effected by "The Pulse". I will say this, however- they start to organize. They start to have other abilities.
NO, this is no pseudo-zombie tale. It is reminiscent of, but these are NOT zombies.
They are simply "re-programmed" humans getting their frequency from a new programmer.
The book is heart-stopping.
I was about 50 pages from the end, and took the book to Cap City to finish it.
I promptly gave it Channez McQuay, who was curious.
In the end, if you are a King fan at all, this is one hell of an adrenaline shot to the heart.
I am, admittedly, a fan of works that discuss the apocalypse, or the breakdown of society. I love to see how it would go down, you know?
This is another in a sling of great interpretations of it.
And how clever...
Cell phones are the gateway to madness and death.

I only got a cell phone 3 years ago. I never owned one. Now I cannot imagine life without one.
Funny enough, my latest cell phone has metal in the face of it. Metal that I am am apparently allergic to. For months it quietly ate away at my face, as I wondered how my face was decomposing before my eyes. I have metal allergies, and never thought to look at my little communications friend as a suspect.
Now I know.
I have regarded cell phones with much more suspicion since...this book didn't help.
:)
I highly advise that you pick it up, since it is impossible to put down once you do...
much like a cell phone.

SGS

2 comments:

Ryan Dean said...

The book was fabulous. Stephen King writes about the apocolypse, and a band of people on a journey, better than anyone. His coup de grace being the Dark Tower series. Here, here--read this one.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Ryan, I read somewhere online that he does NOT plan to write a sequel.
Kind of a bummer.
Hope he changes his mind...
SGS