Thursday, June 17, 2010

Psycho at 50

















Fifty years ago today, Alfred Hitchcock's classic film, Psycho opened on the big screen. This movie revolutionized how films were made, and has been imitated time and time again. The most shocking thing about the film, besides the fact that little violence is ever really seen, is the killing off of the main character 20 minutes into the film. This "red herring" storyline was a genius device that is still shocking today. For me to write about the further brilliance of this film is redundant, and I am sure that most of you have already seen it. Psycho being brilliant is no news to anyone.




I remember the first time that I watched it (way too young - like most of the first time I saw many of my now favorite horror films) I felt like I was watching the ultimate no-no. The way the film was talked about and whispered about in school (MANY YEARS after it's release!) had whipped my imagination into a frenzy. Finally, it was AMC (back when they actually showed classic movies) who brought this film to me on Halloween night. It was a doozie of a night that year, with me experiencing both Psycho AND Night of the Living Dead for the first time. Suffice to say, I was absolutely terrified. I have never forgotten that night, and the fact that I snuck watching the films so my Mom and Dad didn't know that I was...and how scared I was later when it was time for bed...haha - I guess I brought that on myself. Happy Birthday, Psycho. Movies everywhere owe so very much to you.
Enjoy this old theatrical trailer of the film as Hitch himself gives you a tour of the film set...








No comments: