Tuesday, November 28, 2006

MFL CLOSES...


Here are some photos of closing night at the theatre, and then at the cast party.
This show has been a fantastic experience, and I am a better performer for having watched and learned from all involved.
This was the last full production in the old Signature Theatre, and as I left the theatre, I was suprisingly moved. I didn't expect this. I still have to perform in The Last Garage Hurrah in 2 weeks, so I never viewed this show as my last time in the building...but it would be the last full production. I don't know why...I just got all sad. This theatre has harbored many warm memories for me. This theatre has given me my chance in Washington. So strange to say farewell...one farewell of several to come, I know. I somehow think that the next and final farewell will be harder.
I think of how strange it will be to move into a brand spankin' new building that doesn't have the history that you can feel oozing through the cracks in the old theatre's walls...that will feel strange; to not feel the energy of the hundreds of performers who have passed through the space, but to be the first to give that initial energy to a brand new building. It makes me think of a quote sung in a show done in the old building, Allegro, " We have nothing to remember so far, but now we can look forward to the things we'll never forget."
Enjoy and God Bless,
Luv,
SGS








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww. Thom and I have fond memories of seeing Signature shows at that theater, so it's a bit poignant for us too. With each show we saw, we were excited to walk in and be amazed at what new world had been created in that unassuming space.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah...One more week long cabaret that starts in about 2 weeks, then the space is done. It will be a sad goodbye.