Friday, November 03, 2006

An Arlington Parable


Yesterday I walked an old favorite dog up in North Arlington. I brought Lucky Spinster with me, to catch up with her on the half hour walk through a civil war park.
It was a gorgeous walk, discussing the events of her MacDowell experience. Getting her up to speed on my MFL life, ect. We were walking through a forest path that was colored by God himself. It was gorgeous.
I got a call at the 15 minute mark of the walk (it was a 30 minute walk). I was exactly 15 minutes from the house. My boss called me and said that apparently the driveway I parked in is a shared driveway. I was blocking a woman in.
I had parked in the same place for the past year that I walked the dog, and never knew any different.
I was never told not to park in a certain place.
I told her that I would be back in 15 minutes...I could not hurry this dog (as it has cancer, and I would not run, as I have a bum knee).
Spinster and I reach the turn off street to the neighborhood, and the woman is at the top of the street, screaming "HURRY UP!!!"
Spinster and I speculate that this might be a good source of inspiration for future plays as we approach the "crime scene".
As I draw near the "scene of the crime", the woman yells at me, "You just won the Stupid award of the day".
"Pardon Me?" I ask in disbelief.
"Any Idiot can see that this is a shared driveway" she clucks.
"I am so sorry, and I did NOT realize this. It will never happen again." I say.
That is not good enough to her.
She asks why I did not hurry more.
I explain that I am walking an 8 year old dog with Cancer, and that I have a bum knee.
She protests that "That dog doesn't have Cancer"...
"Yes," I say, "it does"...
"Well, you could have hurried him anyway!", she says.
This happened on Lorcam Lane.
One of the richest areas in our commonwealth. Funny term, that in itself, "commonwealth".
This is the same sort of woman who would come to the theatre and tell me how wonderful she thought I was.
I ask you as a reader, and will try to do so myself...be nice to people.
Understand that everyone is trying to do the best that they can possibly do in their circumstance.
Do not be hateful. If you are a hateful person, do not continue to read this blog. Spend the time that you do reading this blog and work on yourself.
No one deserves this kind of treatment.
I need a new job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did better than I would have done (but I'd wished I'd done better). I'll never forget first reading your blogs and the one about how you saved a baby bird by putting it back in its nest, or something. You were determined "L'il Peep" was going to be A-okay. I'd written you were a nice person. Seems you are still a nice person after that lady got her panties in a knot.

And as far as trying to be nicer to people: As rude as I find people to be in the D.C./Northern VA area I have to ask God to help me with my attitude before I step outside my door every morning, to not let me be ugly. And for me that works. Peace out, my friend.