Friday, March 09, 2007

Post Number 600: Angsty Young Men


Yes, this is my 600th post...I am happy to share more thoughts on things that I have seen during this 600th post...


I have had the honor and pleasure of 2 nights of young angry man theatre.

Being a young angry man (at times), I had much to identify with.

First up: Hamlet at Signature Theatre.

I loved the production through and through. I thought that Ezra Dagan, Gil Frank, Assaf Goldstein, and especially Itay Tiran as Hamlet were standouts.

The concept was brilliant, and I was always engaged in the production. I know that it is already sold out, but I just want to pass the fact on that it was a way cool evening of Shakespeare in another language (with subtitles).

In another case of young angst, I cite the Kensington production of my husband's show, Nevermore, which I saw a dress rehearsal of tonight (I start tech for John Doe tomorrow, and this was the last night that I could see it).

I had a great time watching this show with a totally different cast, different direction, different set, and not because I disliked the original production (as you all know, I am fairly obsessed with it), but it was great to see the show stand on its own. Which Kensington's production clearly does. They do some things quite differently from the Signature production, and I liked them.

Mother is played by Brianne Cobruzi, who is younger than I and playing the role of Mother, who Florence Lacey played. It was very interesting to see a young Mother. I liked it.

The role of Elmira was split into two roles, which was also quite effective.

The Raven still rocks.

If you never saw Nevermore, or saw it and are not sure what you thought, I would go and see this production. This is not a regurgitation of the Signature production, but a new take on the material, and very interesting to see. The cast is fantastic as a whole, and do great work.

Visit this show at the affordable prices that they are. It only took us 30 minutes from Arlington to get there, and 20 to get home. Do it, you won't regret it.

Edgar lives!

No comments: