Thursday, March 01, 2007

Stephanie Waters as Cinderella


(Sketch by Bob Perdziola, show photos by Carol Pratt, backstage photos by Donna Migliaccio and me).
I had never met Stephanie before Into the Woods, yet had seen her picture in the lobby of Toby's Dinner Theatre all the years that I worked there. (She starred in several shows, most notably The Wizard of Oz, for which she was nominated for a Helen Hayes Award).
I didn't put the two together until one night after the show at Cap City, where I suddenly said, "THAT'S IT!!!" and put 2 and 2 together.







She is a first class performer,
and such a delight to be around after the show is over. Nothing really shakes her. She is as stable as anything, and more grounded than most people that I know. How many performers that you know would go down to New Orleans and volunteer to help, and not just for like a week, either. She is going back again this summer...I respect her so much for that.
During the opening, I danced most of the night away with Cinderella...uh...I mean Stephanie. Although, on that night, it was difficult to see a difference.



When she finally changed out of her Cinderella ball gown in act 2 for the last time, I captured this sad goodbye to her enchanted dress. She felt that the dress had become such a part of her.




She was always such a good sport about the show, and when asked to have a mini discussion with me (as dance captain) during a 10 minute break, I would approach her and say, "I know that you are on your break, but can I ask you a question or two?", whereupon she would reply, "Oh, I don't care about breaks or equity crap...what do you need? Let me help you..."
I thought that this trait was amazing. She was just there to do the best show that she could, and didn't give one rat's ass about anything else.
















She will always hold a special place in my heart because of her genuine kindness, charm, and beauty. Inner and outer.
She is threatening to move back to our parts in a year or so, and I only hope that it is true. Our theatrical community could benefit from having a little Stephanie Waters floating around in it.
She's good people.
And I miss my Cinderella so much already.
Goodnight Cindy,
Love,
Jack

No comments: