Friday, October 07, 2005

On The Heels Of...Amy McWilliams

Photo by Carol Pratt

On The Heels Of...tracks down Amy McWilliams this rainy weekend...
Amy has appeared in MANY a show across the region, From Signature (Zander's Boat, The Fix, In the Garden, Working) , Keegan Theatre (Sideman), Wooly Mammoth/Theatre J (Rocket to the Moon) to name a few.
She performed in both the Sondheim Celebration (Merrily We Roll Along, Sunday in the Park with George) and the Tennessee Williams Celebration (A Streetcar Named Desire, The Glass Menagerie).
She is also married to Steve McWilliams, who will be appearing in my cabaret!
Amy is currently finishing out the last days of the ol' Urinetown... (in which she has one of my favorite lines...when Bobby wants the people to revolt, she exclaims, "But there are two of them....and we're all so poor!" ...you just have to take my word for it, it is a real stitch..I digress...so here goes...

SGS: What's new, hot stuff? How are the final days of Urinetown playing out? Are you guys exhausted or what?
AMY:Urinetown is going great guns, although it hasn't quite sunk in yet that it'll be over soon - it just requires too much energy to think much beyond the next performance. Exhaustion usually sinks in at the end of the week - I find I'm not much use for anything on Mondays. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself "I've only got to get thru Act II, then I can go home...". Madness!

SGS: I love your two characters in the show, especially Josephine Strong... How was she developed?
AMY:Oh God, I had no idea for the longest time who the hell Ma Strong was - the perennial problem with thinly written musical theatre characters. I finally latched onto one line - "He's a good boy, my Bobby Strong" - and that led me to believe she's one of those women to whom life hasn't been very good or fair, but she loves her kid unconditionally. She's really just a gentle soul - I like her very much.
SGS: I particularly like her...gymnastics. Do you have a bruised scalp yet?
AMY:Well, I have to admit I had to modify the fall and roll somewhat after my hip started giving me problems - I found I couldn't repeatedly fall straight back into the flip, what with the rake and uneven stage floor, so I changed it so its more of a backward roll at the start and then I push my legs skyward and flop over. Now I just have a bruised shoulder, but it will heal! The lesson here is be careful what craziness you try in rehearsals, cause the director may want to keep it.
SGS: How did you get your start in theatre?
AMY:Years and years and yonks ago. I believe my first appearance was as a rock and my younger sister was a frog. My older sister, the bossy one, was writer, director and of course, the Princess. I've been working for better roles since then. True story. I've actually always done theatre, thanks to a Mom who took us to see lots of stuff. I spent many years doing community theatre, which gave me the chance to do some really great roles while doing the day job at a law firm, and eventually moved into professional work.
SGS: You are married to Steve McWilliams, local Guitar virtuoso, Rock God, and a hell of an actor/singer...how did you two meet?
AMY:OK, he's going to kill me for telling this story, because it is corny as all get-out. It was a community theatre production of Grease, and yes, he was Danny and I was Sandy - actually Donna Mig was Rizzo - and the rest, as they say is history. And yes, I robbed the cradle - Stevie was a senior in high school at the time. My mama always told me, get 'em young and raise 'em right. Hell, ya can't argue with 22 years!
SGS: Be honest...he talks about me all the time, doesn't he..:) *sigh*
AMY:Of course he does, pumpkin - we all do!
SGS: Speaking of music, what have you been "in" to lately?
AMY:Not really anything new - I have to admit I don't listen to music stations on my radio much - I'm an NPR girl for the most part. The few CDs I have in the car are Mary Chapin Carpenter, cause she sings low like me, the Dixie Chicks, Kim Richey, and Ella Fitzgerald.
SGS: 5 favorite films, any order?
AMY:Oh bother, not much of a movie junkie. Let's see. Princess Bride, Waiting for Guffman, Frances...I'm sure there's more I just can't think of at the moment.
SGS: Any dream roles yet to be played?
AMY:Ok, there's a difference between what I could potentially play and ones I'd love to play but never will, such as Anita in West Side Story. But in Amy's Dreamworld, I'd say Phyllis in Follies, Fosca in Passion, just about any Tennessee Williams or Shepherd - love their women! Never done Mamet, would love to try him. It would be great to do Chekhov, Ibsen. Oh, and I'd LOVE to do On The Verge - are you listening, Eli? I directed it a while ago and had a blast with a capital B, and it's a brilliant script. As much as it is about roles, there are many actors in DC I've never worked with who I admire and would love to work with - like you, my dear...
SGS: What kinds of roles do you find yourself playing a lot, and why do you think that is?
AMY:Lots of moms as of late - 5 in the last year, and some meatier than others. You can't get more different than Mrs. Cratchit in Christmas Carol versus Terry in Sideman, but both mothers none the less. I'm sure it has lots to do with my age range, and perhaps also with conveying some level of maternal feeling on stage.
SGS: What's down the road for you this season?
AMY:Well, I'm back to Fords for the holiday season in Christmas Carol, then on to Signature for Nevermore (perhaps you've heard about it) - finally a non-mom role!!! There's also a possible project with my hubby this summer, if all plans pan out. I'm looking to fill the slot between March and June - anyone?
SGS: What's the key to being a happy actress?
AMY:I could say working, but that's a lie, because doesn't matter if you're doing crap. Finding the balance between making a living and being challenged - not easy! Knowing that sometimes you need to challenge yourself, because hard things won't always be asked of you. Not being afraid when hard things are asked of you. Have faith in yourself, and let go of all the myriad things that are out of your control. Don't be an asshole, but stick up for yourself. Don't be jealous of the success of others. Talk about things OTHER than theatre, for God's sake!
SGS: What is the last thing that stopped you in your tracks?
AMY:Our new dog, Sunny. We just got him from a rescue, and he had to go to the vet and get a tooth pulled that had broken. Because they put him ucouldn'the couldn't eat before or after the surgery (a 24 hour period). The night we brought him home from the vet's, I discovered that he had gotten into the trash and had tried to find something to eat. I started to pick up the mess, in the meantime admonishing him that he had been a "bad dog", not yelling, just using the stern voice. I turned and looked at him - he was sitting there, looking at me and shaking like a leaf, and really and truly looked like he was going to cry. Broke my heart - what the hell had someone done to this poor sweet animal? I just held him.
SGS: Now to the pressing issues...Do you think my hubby is cute? :)
AMY:
Oh please, your hubby is fucking ADORABLE!
SGS:*Sigh* (I know)What are you wearing right now?
AMY:Jeans, t-shirt, and some psuedo-sneaker things - comfort!
SGS: (HOT!) When I went to college, all the women were told that they are a dime a dozen, and that if they really wanted to make it, they would have to be extremely driven, since there are twice as many women in theatre than men...What would be your advice to any women trying to cut their teeth in this business we call show?
AMY:For young actors, I'd say don't be in a rush to get your Equity card, unless you've got an agent in NYC and will be moving there in the next few weeks. You will potentially miss out on some great roles in non-Equity theatres, a chance to build your resume and reputation. If you want to work in DC, there are a lot of great opportunities with the smaller companies who are doing great stuff, but don't hire Equity. There are not-so-small companies that can fill a role with non-Equity just as well as with Equity, so don't be in too much of a rush till you have some experience.
Don't limit yourself - if you have the acting chops and you can sing, don't get pigeon-holed as "just musical theatre" - it's a hard hole to get out of, and lets face it, there is a tendency among those who cast to consider someone with lots of musicals on their resume as not-quite-the actor compared to those who have no musicals on their resume. You limit what you'll be considered for.
Don't be stupid once you are in the work environment - do your homework, show up on time and prepared, do your best to get along with folks. The best actor can be out of work by getting a reputation for being a pain in the ass.
If you truly have a passion for this, stick with it. Having been a part of the casting process a number of times, trust me when I tell you that I've seen a lot of great auditions from wonderful actors who ended up not getting cast - there are so many variables that go into that decision, all you can do is your best, and then let it go.
SGS: Thanks, Amy...I'm sure I'll be talking with you soon, and will want to chat with you again here during Nevermore. Kisses to the hubby! :)
AMY:My pleasure - kisses to yours as well!

3 comments:

SAS said...

What a great interview! And twenty-two years. Congrats to Amy and Steve on that...

Anonymous said...

We actors don't get a lot of Television Commercials Voice Over till we get "really" famous - but we live and breathe our Television Commercials Voice Over regardless. Television Commercials Voice Over
Isobella
http://www.isobella-lawrence.com
Like your blog :o)

Anonymous said...

Amy McWilliams is talent is only matched by her kindness, generosity and support of her fellow actors. She is truly amazing.