Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Favorite Gay Movie...Beautiful Thing


Ste: Do you think I'm queer?
Jamie Gangel: It don't matter what I think.

So LOGO played this film tonight, and it reminded me how much I adore it.
This film features some gorgeous performances, a brilliant Mama's and Papa's soundtrack, and a great script.

This film is very reminiscent of my own coming out experience, so it touches me very deeply. Finally a gay movie that is happy, earnest and joyous.

All performances in the film are terrific, however, 2 women are standouts...Linda Henry as Sandra, and Tameka Empson as Leah. The two are arch enemies in the film, and are splendid in their character development.
Empson's Mama Cass obsessed slapper of a Leah is South London ghetto fabulous, and will make you laugh throughout, even when you want to hit her. ( As Henry's Sandra does).

Sandra: It's not natural, is it?
Jamie: What ain't?
Sandra: A girl her age being into Mama Cass.
Leah: She's got a really beautiful voice.
Sandra: And what's wrong with Madonna?
Leah: She's a slut.
Sandra: Hypocrite.

Henry's Sandra is a web of vulnerability, wrapped in barbed wire...her character is a woman who knows how to adapt to the situation. She is so strong, and such a fighter...every gay being who watches this film will wish that she was their mother...espeacially in the final scene...
watch her and Tameka Empson's Leah join forces in the final scene, as neighbors watch scornfully as her son dances with his beau...watch her stare them down, as if to say..."Get wanked, Big Bollocks.."
The use of the songs, Make Your Own Kind of Music, and Dream a Little Dream of Me, is so touching, and brings tears to the lids.
Innocence and first love has never before been so wonderfully portrayed...

Jamie: Scared to be called queer.
Ste: Are you?
Jamie: Maybe... maybe not.
Ste: And are ya?
Jamie: Queer...
Ste: Gay.
Jamie: Very happy. I'm happy when I'm with you...

If you have not seen this film, please do...it will give you hope and joy...something we all could use these days.

2 comments:

rabbit1970 said...

It's my favorite gay film, too! It's one of the most honest portrayals of being gay and a teenager, too. I think we all need a little Ste in our lives.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I agree. I am so sad that I am too long in the tooth to play Jamie now. I always wanted to. As it is I'll be the oldest Jack on the beanstalk.
:)
Just Kidding.