Saturday, February 25, 2006

Death of a Salesman...Keegan Theatre


Jesus Christ...
Matty and I went to see Death of a Salesman at Church Street Theater by Keegan Theatre tonight. Wow.
Across the boards, the performances were incredible. From the smallest of players to the biggest, it was incredible.
I could not help but to think of my own father. This is the classic American tragedy.
All that your parents want to give you, yet cannot...
I was reminded of Cal Trask in East of Eden trying to give his father something, and that gift being not enough in his Father's eyes.
Alright, I have already said that the entire cast is strong.
Let me focus on what moved me.

Brian Hemmingsen as Willy Loman is a triumph. His depth and understanding of the role is so layered that you lose yourself in him. I never felt anger at this character..this seems to be a theme that is discussed in abundance with this show.
I felt no anger for Willy Loman. I understand him.
Someone once told me that everyone in their own lives is really trying their best. In whatever it is, they really ARE trying their best to be a good person.
Here is this man genuinely TRYING his best in a world that won't have him.
It is devastating to watch.
It reminds me in a strange way of Monster, or even, Nevermore.
Mark Rhea is devastating as Biff.
I see so much Cal Trask from East of Eden in his performance of Biff. I am SO envious of him, in the fact that he has got to play this AMAZING role that SO suits him, and that he is so heartbreaking...it is an actor's dream come true. He and Brian capture the essence of the play so gorgeously. I absolutely GEEKED over Mark Rhea in this play.
Charlotte Akin is an understated and gorgeous exercise in patience...When her rage at her sons comes through, it is so extremely powerful. She is measured patience personified.
I recall a line from "The Bridges of Madison County", where the housewife talks about her "Life of Details.."
Her final monologue at the gravesite shattered me. "We're free..."
I will say that a woman during a crucial scene, had her cell phone ring, and yes, she was in the front row, answered it, and had a full conversation.
This URKED me to no end. In her defense, they were from Egypt, and were visiting. They wanted to see this show, and did not know theatre etiquette.
Whatever.
I hear that tomorrow was supposed to be the last performance of this AMAZING show, but happily, I report that it will play 2 more performances next weekend.
I advise you to go and see this 2006 Helen Hayes front runner before it passes by.
You will not be sorry. Willy Loman and his clan have never been shown to you in such a devastating light.
Keegan Fucking Rocks.
Luv,
SGS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for you wonderful comments. As a young actor just starting out in D.C. its always great to see your work appreciated and to know that people are coming away with something to think about. And hopefully entertained as well. Once again thanks!

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

The pleasure was all mine my friend, and those of you not in the know, Michael plays Happy, rounding out the family unit. His womanizing and sleazy Hap makes you think in the lines that he'll die just like his Father did.
Good job, buddy!
And who DOESN'T want to do a show in which they get to hit on Callie Kimball??
Come on, people!
:)
SGS