Wednesday, June 07, 2006

RUNNING ON EMPTY

Everyone does stupid things. Every single day we do them. I find myself doing more stupid things than most people, unfortunately.
Every single day of my life, and I'm not saying that this is exclusive to me, is about time. I need to get to my first dog in a 20 minute range, then each subsequent dog has it's own window of time that I need to be at the house. If I am running late at all, it throws off my whole day, and I am frantic to keep up with the the time demands...then when I am with each dog, I keep to a strict time schedule of how long the owner has paid for me to be with them. I look at the clock about 100 times a day. Tick-tock, tick-tock. It is maddening.
Now...being an actor/dog walker is not the most lucrative of dual professions to have, but it is where I am right now, and that is that. Gas prices being what they are, and since I have to drive all day, I constantly dread getting more gas.
Last Saturday, my gas tank registered "Low Fuel". No biggie. I only had to drive from my house to Signature a couple of times, and I can go quite a bit on "Low Fuel". I fgure that I will wait until Monday. I was running ragged mentally and in many other ways, as the end of previews of Assassins was coming to a close, and press night loomed in the not too distant future. I also was running on close to empty in the bank department...so, I was waiting for my Friday deposit to be a little more close to clearing for me to get gas, which is usually a $40 endeavor.
Monday comes. I drive down to Del Ray to start my morning route. All of those dogs are within a block or two radius of each other, so I drive little to none. I drive back up to Fairlington to do my 12 o'clock. As I pull in to a parking space, the car runs out of gas.
I am horrified.
I try to start the car again...no luck, chuck...she's dead.
I ponder what to do. I remember that at 7-11, I saw mini gas tanks for sale...stupidly, I thought that they were already full of gas, and meant to put in your trunk in case you ran out of gas...no, stupid. They are empty, and not for cars at all, but for lawnmowers and the like. I walked ALL THE WAY to Quaker Lane to find no hope.
I left a message for Eleasha saying..."You're never gonna guess what stupid thing I did...", and kept walking. I should have stopped at a gas station and explained my sitch, but didn't think that they would do anything but laugh at the fag in the bandanna and abercrombie shirt.
I did what I had to do.
I called my boss,and as always, she came to my aid in a heartbeat. She stopped at a gas station and got a little tank that you can borrow and take back for just such situations...(never knew that). I filled up my tank with the tiny container's spoils, and my car started with no problems...
I immediately went and filled my tank...
Moral? Don't be a stupid ass....when your low fuel light comes on, go get yourself some fuc*ing gas, dipshit.
Luv,
Dipshit

1 comment:

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

Hi Stephen,
I enjoy your blog! Especially felt for you on this one, as I always go until I'm on fumes to fill up. I tend to make my passengers uncomfortable as they watch my light. What a pain to run out. Wish I could see Assasins!