Saturday, October 07, 2006

Opening Night


So, Thanks to the Oceana Group, we had this loverly display of chandeliers at opening night for My Fair Lady. It was elegant and tasteful, and just what it should have been.
When I look back at all of the opening nights in this lobby, it makes my heart pang just a little bit. I think that I will get progressively more emotional about leaving the garage as the show comes to an end, but I still have another show there, the week long "Last Garage Hurrah" cabaret, in which several Signature regulars, including Harry A. Winter, Will Gartshore, myself, Donna Migliaccio, Eleasha Gamble, and Tracy Olivera will be singing Signature's "greatest hits" for a week...
I met Haley Mills, Dena Hammerstein, Maureen McGovern, and many others in this lobby after opening night parties.
The candelabra that set a gay man's sweater aflame on a gay night, the squirt gun challenge during Assassins when little Bradley was running around and squirting target pictures of Presidents during Assassins....so many memories.
I remember during "One Red Flower" I made a CD to play during the cast party with songs that bore meaning to the show, but put fart sounds between the songs...so a song would happen, then you would hear a loud fart sound effect. How funny it was to see the donors look around and wonder what the fart noises were.
Soon we will be in a much more glamorous lobby partying the night away...
I look forward to that, but sense the sadness of leaving a lobby so partied in...
I only hope that I can continue to make CD's that will be played on opening nights...if they ever trust me to again...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

"The candelabra that set a gay man's sweater aflame on a gay night."

Must . . . not . . . make . . . joke.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I wondered how long it would take...
:)