Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Another Suitcase, Another Hall...


Well...Today was the first day of rehearsal for Damn Yankees! So many familiar faces in the cast...it was such a nice thing to have those nervous "first day of school" feelings subside when I walked into a room of MANY former cast members.
Today was pretty much a design presentation day....read through, ect. Tomorrow the real work begins.
This is my second show with Baayork Lee as a choreographer, (the first being Gypsy at Signature Theater in 2001), and she does a "warm up class" every morning that is totally optional.
At 9AM.
*sigh* I have NO excuse...I HAVE to go...
I used to work a day job in which I had to be at work every day at 5:30 AM in DC. For 3 years I did this, almost every day. Looking back, I have NO idea how I did it. I am a night owl through and through...Hello! That's why I'm an actor!
Ever since I quit that job, I have had much trouble waking at early hours...I mean...I can do it, but it isn't my favorite thing to do, you know?
Well...I've been pissing and moaning about losing 13 pounds...something I want to do by year's end. I am offered a free 45 minute work-out for free...it's a no-brainer.
I started my diet today. So far so good. What do I do? Increase my exercise, cut back my portions...nothing fancy. It worked this past summer, when I lost the 13 lbs that I just gained back in the past 4 months.
I like to multi-task my challenges...my goals for this show are such:
1) I want to be a better dancer by the end of this show.
2) I want to feel confident about my weight. Don't get me wrong-I'm not obese...I'm not even over-weight for my height. I was at zero percent body fat by the end of Pacific Overtures in July. I liked how I felt then. I want that again. 13 little bitty pounds...no problem.
I am at 168 right now. I will check in one week from today on the weight front. God...this feels SO Bridget Jones...
3) I want to grow as a performer...something I try to do with every performance experience.
OK...goals set...I'll check in tomorrow night...
Good night, and good luck!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

oh, little buttercup, i'll be there at nine, as well. I AND my five minutes of stage time will show up, rehearsal or no, at nine a.m. (thereby leaving my house at approximately 7:30) to go to Bayork's dance class, because, let's face it, it just makes us look better.
Literally and figuratively.

We can do it.

We can do it.

More crunches=more beer.

P.S. I would PAY to weigh 168. Just FYI.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

And, PS...I wasn't like exactly zero percent body fat, but I was pretty close. I did look damn good. I will get there again. Tomorrow. 9AM...
Tracy, I'm TOTALLY standing/dancing/sit-upping next to you!

Anonymous said...

"WhoopAss" is always fun...especially when I got to stand behind Kevin during Camelsnot...hee hee...but it's not so much fun in the link during the run. Kinda hot and stinky