Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Barrel Turns


Ok...so I had a long day at the Arena. Big news.
The show is going great, I am doing a good job in it...I hope...except for one thing.
I have such shitty barrel turns it isn't funny....I never could do them.
Baayork had a pass of barrel turns in Gypsy at Signature 5 years ago (the last time I worked with her), and I never quite mastered them then either.
Not a barrel turner. But barrel turns have SO much to do with one trusting one's self. Trusting one's own balance and strength.
I seem to lack this in my own self....hmmmm....therapy time, perhaps?
This is my situation with dance...I took tap for YEARS when just an urchin.
Tap is NOT a backbone for normal dance at all...it teaches you little..
If this were a tap show, I'd be your guy, but it is unfortunately not...
When I tested into classes for dance in college, I was too good for beginner classes, and too bad for advanced, so I fell in the middle...where most already knew the basics....
I didn't.
I have had to play catch up, learning terminology and posture most of my professional career.
I went to the Damn Yankees audition hoping to be a Smokey or Rocky...singing and being a character actor but not dancing like the dancer boys...
But someone thought I could be ONE of the dancer boys, and hence my tumult.
I AM NOT A DANCER!
I've always been a mover, but that is all.
Is this challenging me and stretching me?
Of course....
Am I doubting myself and terrified at the downbeat of "Shoeless Joe"?
You're damn skippy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great - just trust those who believed enough in you to move you from mover to dancer

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Thanks, anonymous...
uh-oh.
Now I'm going to be wondering who anonymous is all night..
:)

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Ahhh...anonymous was one of my Geisha sisters in Pacific...
Thanks, Mr. C.
Glad to be by your side yet again...and thanks for all the encouragement!
:)

Unknown said...

Hee, barrel turns! I think once upon a time I could do 'em, but that was many many years ago. I love these show updates, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Darling,

What is up with Baayork and those damn barrel turns? I'm fairly convinced I didn't get a part in Camelot because I couldn't execute the damn things... and since when do chicks do barrel turns?? Perhaps you can ask Ms. B. for me. Love and miss you!

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Chicks doing barrel turns? In Camelot?
No Comment.
I ABSOLUTELY know who THIS anonymous is...:)
miss you too, hot stuff.
*wink*