Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Crafty Bastards...curtains and pendant lamps


I looked in the closet and found my winter curtains that I will replace with new ones come fall. I decided to make them my corner drapes of the tent. I attached them to the bars of the tent by piercing them with paper clips in three places (left end, middle, right end) and bent the clips around the tent metal. I secured them with clear duct tape (which I did did not think existed until I stumbled across it at the Rite Aid yesterday...brilliant invention!). I know that this sounds crude, but it did the trick and you can't really see the nuts and bolts of it with the curtains up.
I dug into my box of ribbon remnants (purchased at AC Moore craft store for $1.00, and a must for any crafter. You can always use bits of random color and pattern ribbon) I cinched the curtains on the left side with a contrasting pattern ribbon (black and white hounds tooth), and the ones on the right with a different ribbon (green apple to tie in to the chairs.)
I dug out my pendant lamp that I purchased at World Market last year and rigged up a lantern light to it, hanging it in the center of the tent. It is light green, yet again tying in the green theme. I do agree that maroon and Green apple might be a strange color palette to mix, but somehow it works and looks fun, colorful and cute.
I painted a small plate hunter green to tie in another green color of a deeper value, and placed it in the center of the table, putting a potted plant (yellow) in a green apple basket at the center.



From everything that I have read in various design magazines, color is in big time...mainly pastels of the 50's variety...(pink pastel, green apple, baby blue, lavender), and thought I never thought that I would go for such "girly" colors, as I prefer deep and rich textured hues, I have to say that the lightness of it is quite inviting. I have balanced out the lightness of the pastel with the dark maroon, and that is the key to a healthy balance of pastels. Balance it with a different hue with rich texture and you won't feel like you are living on the set of "My Pretty Pony".
Green Apple is the new it color this summer, and it or any of it's companion colors in the pastel market of 50's nostalgia kitch would be a welcome additive to your home or garden.
Peace out,
SGS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great. What kind of paint did you use on the chairs? Thanks.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Rust-oleum's American Accents, available at AC Moore's craft store.
The hues are white and Green Apple.