Friday, May 25, 2007

Why haven't you seen this show?


I saw Peter and Wendy at Arena Stage last night, and the title of this post is directed at those of you who have not. This was a theatrical event. I have heard many say that it is for "children at heart" and none other. I am proud to count myself among that number, for I was enthralled by it. I know that tickets are expensive, but check out ticket place for half price tickets...they are available.
This show is the most amazing show that I have seen in quite some time, and if you have not seen it, why not? You will not see the inventive style of this production anywhere.
It fuses Celtic music with Japanese puppetry and modern dance.


Karen Kandel is an inspiration. Every once in awhile you see a show as a performer which reminds you why you do what you do for no money. This was it for me. Karen was the show. It is her show.








I have been made aware of some people who did not like this show because they felt above it. I think that the people who like this show and do not are divided into 2 categories: 1) those too jaded to see back into their childhood and the magic of imagination 2) Those who can.
I was part of number 2. I cried at the end of the show, though I tried to hide it.
This show is about the loss of innocence and ascension into adulthood where innocence is too painful to suffer anymore.

I loved this piece's imagination. Sheets became masts of a ship. A carpet became a ship. The puppetry was ingenious. The Celtic music was gorgeous.
Why haven't you seen this magical event?
You won't see something like this here in DC for awhile.
Go and see it now.
Luv,
SGS

2 comments:

Debi said...

Hello Friend!! I want to go see Peter and Wendy! I need tickets to some other things too. Where do you work? xo Friend

Anonymous said...

Peter and Wendy is fantastic.. Listen to Debbie Minter Jackson's podcast with Ms. Kandel at DC Theatre Reviews.