Thursday, June 28, 2007

A few of my favorite things...


(Olivia in Grease)
Sorry I have not posted that regularly, but as you all know-I've been a bit busy.
I feel like I have so much to tell you that I don't know where to begin...so I'll pile it all into another compilation like the one below...
First of all:
Ford's Presidential Gala
Well, the Gala was fantastic, as reported the Washington Post. It featured Wynonna Judd, Jon Secada, Yolanda Adams, and my new best friend, Olivia Newton-John, who was also spotted shopping at H&M across the street from Ford's, reports Names and Faces in the Washington Post. And why do I say "my new best friend"? She could not have been sweeter, and more wonderful. She introduced herself to me (which in itself won her about 50 points in my book), and was watching Guy Paul, Heidi Blickenstaff, and myself perform our number from Meet John Doe from the wings, wishing us good luck before we went on, and wonderful job after we were done. A tip from her was not to imagine the audience naked, but to imagine them on the toilet. Well...yeah, I have to say, that really works well to calm your nerves when the President of the United States is sitting in the front row, not 5 feet from where you are standing.

(there he and she are...five feet in front of me)



Anyway, she was so sweet and lovely, and still sounded amazing as she sang "Xanadu" which made me giggle and tap my toe along back stage. I felt like I was transported back about 20 years to when I first saw the film...it was a warm and tingly moment, I'll admit, and as corny as it sounds, as she sang the last "Now that I'm here, now that you're near...in Xanadu", I felt like roller skating all over the city with joy. yeah. I said it. Nothing like a little vintage Olivia Newton-John to bring out the gayest feelings in all of us.

(here she is at the gala)
On the rehearsal day, I went to see 1408 on a break. It was everything that I hoped that it would be. Despite an ending that was a little iffy, the movie delivers grade A scares, and does so in a manner that is not graphic or bloody, just scary. It is a 100% adult and classy ghost story, and I highly recommend it.
I am also recently digging the jazz singer, Amy Winehouse to a very high level. She has a sound that reminds me of the Phil and Ronnie Specter "Wall of Sound" recordings. Here is her video to her newest hit, Rehab..

So that is all for now, but I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon or evening...much more to talk about.
I'll leave you with a little Xanadu till then...
G'night,
SGS




3 comments:

rabbit1970 said...

Here's some more pics of ONJ at the benefit:

http://www.onlyolivia.com/news/07/0706washington/index.html

R.

rabbit1970 said...

Oops- here's the updated link

Sarah said...

Oh, I am so loving Amy Winehouse right now, too. She's making day 1 of Virgin Fest look even better. Not that The Police and Beastie Boys need any help.