Saturday, July 14, 2007

Here we go...


Well, I am done with work totally until after my cabaret is done on Tuesday night. (Well, not entirely true...I am going in for a few hours to TICKETplace on Monday to set up the events for the coming week, but I'll only be there for maybe 3 hours in the afternoon). I am glad I have this time to concentrate, breathe, and relax before the big show. And that is just what I am doing this evening. I am currently cooking some steak that marinated for exactly one full day prior to being cooked (heaven), and watching Taxi Driver casually in the background as I am writing this. (Because apparently nothing says relaxation on a Saturday evening like Taxi Driver...? I have problems, don't I?)
You know, I never remember when I agree to do a cabaret what mental stress and exhaustion I put myself through. I started out saying I'd do one thing, and what I have ended up with is totally different in the end; like it always is. Yes, the song list may be the same (save one or two differences). But I have gone from the idea of doing it as a classy (heh.) and simple (heh.) evening of me in a black tie singing songs...to something totally different...(heh-heh-heh). You see...I would love to be that kind of "I'm going to put on a classy evening of Sondheim and Kander and Ebb" guy. I'm just not. I'm not that guy at all. I'm many guys, but that one ain't one of em'. So I thought that I would be all of the guys that I am and have been along the way. Last time we talked I told you that if I had it over to do again, I would rename the cabaret "mix tape". I think that the time before I thought I would call it "typecast". I think that TONIGHT I think that I would call it "me?"
You see, I think that everyone, whether they are an actor or not, plays different roles in their own personal life, and they don't even know it or think about it. Think...are you the same person at your customer service orientated day job "So sorry sir, can I do anything else to help you?" that you are at home when you are walking around naked drinking a beer at 9PM while dancing around to "Xanadu" on the stereo? (maybe that's just me) Are you the same person at a crowded bar having pleasant conversation with casual aquaintences and nodding "uh-huh...uh-huh", as you are when you are in a job interview (or audition) selling yourself and being as extroverted as you can manage to be without being to verbose (there is always a very fine invisible line, isn't there?). Yes, after all, you are the same human being underneath it all, but you develop mechanisms for different scenarios that you deal with on the day to day basis. "There is a time and a place for that" some will say about certain behavior. Exactly.
When you put on certain outfits in your day to day life, now be honest, don't you have a "this is my professional outfit" or your "this is my Sunday church outfit", or the next day you have your "I'm doing nothing but sitting on my couch, watching Turner Movie Classics and eating bon-bons" outfit (usually sweats and a tee shirt). These are your costumes.
I plan to explore all of these things in a frank and funny manner on Tuesday night. It probably won't be as heavy as what I just went on a rant about, but it will be fun.
I feel like I am in preparation for a marathon of sorts on Tuesday night. In a way, I guess I am.
I hope to see you all there on Tuesday night.
For tickets, call 703-820-9771.
bye bye.
SGS

No comments: