Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Anatomy of a Mix Tape...."Tough Guy"-2000


I mentioned this tape in my first post about mix tapes, but due to the "Soundtrack of Your Life" post and the fact that I listened to this tape while walking dogs today, I had to follow up on it and reveal it's entire contents...this is one of the best mix tapes that I have ever made, I think...The attitude of the tape is very defiant and punkish...There was a ton of transition going on in my life at the time, and I guess I needed songs that voiced strong control to sing along to and empower myself...Here is the song list...
SIDE A
1) "Awful" by Hole....
"If the world is so wrong, you can break them all with one song..."
2)"Red House" by Jimi Hendrix-Just a classic sexy and sultry number...
3)"Who is Tyler Durden?"-The Dust Brothers...A few numbers that I love from "The Fight Club Soundtrack...

4)"Homework"-The Dust Brothers
5)"This is Your Life"-The Dust Brothers, featuring Brad Pitt as "Tyler Durden"
As Brad says..."We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world"
6)"Tell Me Something Good"-Chaka Kahn..Ultimate seduction song
7)"Too Good to be True"-Lauryn Hill...Just a great song that makes me smile...
8) "Heatwave"-Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...Yet another...
9)"Connection"-Elastica...Rocking little indie rock jam...
10)"What it Takes"-Aerosmith...Another classic, and fun to sing...
11) "That Thing"-Lauryn Hill...Makes me dance in my car....
12)"Mother"-Tracy Bonham...Ultimate maternal defiance.
SIDE B
1)"If You Were My Woman"-George Michael...oh god...so sweet and sexy.
2)"Erotica"-(Sex Mix)-Madonna...Tough Bitch Madonna at her best.
3)"Are You Gonna Go My Way"-Lenny Kravitz...kick ass 70's nostalgia.
4)"Cadence to Arms"-Dropkick Murphys...a great Irish Punk band...
5)"Do or Die"-Dropkick Murphys
6)"Celebrity Skin"-Hole..."Yeah...SO glad you could make it...yeah, now you really made it...yeah, there's only US left now..."..It makes you feel as if you were about to spar off with your competition.
7)"The Wrong Way"-Sublime...Another Classic. I miss Ska music.
8)"My Baby's Got Sauce"-G Love and Special Sauce...SO sexy and smooth...
9)"Red Right Hand"=Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds...Ultimate CREEPY song.
10)"Turning Japanese"-Liz Phair..Great cover...punked up by Liz.
11)"Flower"-Liz Phair...Detached sexuality at its best...monotone and numb.
12)"You Bring Me Joy"-Mary J Blige...2 songs by the Queen of R&B Soul that make me dance in my car....
13)"Be Happy"-Mary J Blige

This tape is a pretty fun listen, and has kept my walking days exciting. More Mix Tapes to come.
Happy Hump day...
Luv,
SGS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»