Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Fringe



The country mouse ventured across the river to a show at the Capital Fringe Festival last night. It takes a whole heap to get me to cross the river, but this was a Monday night show, so I was available...not only a Monday night show, but Josh Lefkowitz's one man monologue, entitled, "HELP WANTED: A Personal Search for Meaningful Employment at the Start of the 21st Century".
Josh and I were in One Red Flower together, and formed an immediate and strong bond. I picked him up in DC after my morning job (Wisteria Landscapers)and brought him to rehearsal for the show.
We shared many incredibly funny conversations over the course of these car rides and rehearsals. Riffing on everything from eating meals (which I detest...yes, I hate the physical task of eating) to Julie Andrews putting cigarettes out in her eyes. I won't explain, because it would only cheapen the details.
Josh played my best friend in One Red Flower, and that was never a stretch. I found him hysterical, intelligent, and engaging. His one man show is like sitting down to dinner with him. Well...dinner and drinks.
I am happy to report that it is a fantastic show, and you always feel like he is speaking right to you. His story telling technique is very bombastic at times, yet never strays from Josh the person. The row of 6 of us from Signature, who know and adore the man, laughed with slightly more fervor, as we had just a little more knowledge about the man in question than the rest of the house.

I was happy and sad to see this show. Happy to see and experience the comedy/beauty that is Josh. Sad to know that he is no longer a Metro ride away from my house.
Growing up is hard to do. A lesson I learn daily.
Afterwards, I spotted Tboy , exchanged pleasantries as he pondered why I was out so late...then remembered it was a Monday...Josh and the rest of the Signature crew went to Fado's Pub.
I had never been, and LOVED it! It reminded me of many of the Irish pubs that I used to frequent in Winchester and PA. Dark and seedy, with lots of stone and wood.
We had a great evening, talked with Josh about days gone by and days to come.
When will I see JL again? Who knows. The beauty is that it never feels like there has been any time apart.
I strongly advise all of you Signature Subscribers who read this blog, and anyone else who has the time and money to go and see Josh pour out his words and passion. You will have a great night of entertainment and a beautiful glimpse into a talented man's artistic soul. Click HERE for more info...and PS...the only 2 remaining shows are tonight at 6:15PM, and tomorrow evening...Get your tickets fast!
Luv,
SGS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Fado? Dark and seedy? A chain like that? It must've been crowded.

I find Cap City much darker. And we usually provide the seedy factor.