Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hinckley goes to the Hilton


2 weeks ago, Matty and I went to the Food and Friends benefit dinner and auction at the Hilton in DC. Yes, the Hinckley Hilton...(where John Hinckley tried to assassinate President Reagan).
This was the day after the initial flood hit the area, and we weren't sure whether we should venture into DC, as it was still raining, and we had a Flash Flood Warning again. But, out of morbid curiosity, we went.


Torrents of rain pelted us as we approached the Hilton. I thought Matt kind of looked like the Morton's Salt Girl in this picture. Hah.
I kept asking him, "Was it here?", or "Was it there?"...he thought that he would know it when he saw it, since he had seen many pictures and video of that fateful day. We gave up trying to find it initially and went inside to eat.

I think that I have made it abundantly clear that I eat like a ten year old boy. I thought, however, that I would be able to find SOMETHING to eat there. Boy was I glad that I ate before I came. Out of the 40-50 stands from different restaurants, there was not one damn thing that I would eat. Not a thing. At least it was free booze.
We stayed for a little bit, but as time passed we began worrying about the state of the roads and of our basement. Scratch that...I was the worried one, as always. So, we said our farewells and left.

When we were outside, Matt took up the quest to find the shooting spot again. He looked down to our left, and recognized the brick pattern of the wall. He took off down to the wall, and said, "This is it!"...I snapped this shot. No pun intended.




It was a cool moment for him, and I am glad he got to touch a little piece of his character's history.

No comments: