Sunday, January 21, 2007

Gala Opening...Part 1 , or " I don't dance"


I understand how Cinderella must have felt at the ball. Last night was a perfect night. The show went well, then the dinner was something that I could actually eat, (amazing), then the dancing...heh-heh.
Ok, I hardly ever dance. (off stage) I don't know why, I just don't anymore. I got so cynical about it, because I would watch others get a little tanked and shake a leg and I would think...wow...they look like total drunken idiots. Isn't that awful? That is seriously how I felt. Jaded at 28...not pretty.
As you can see, my first pictures I took of people dancing was at a healthy distance away.














Then I took this picture, and Eleasha grabbed me and pulled me onto the dance floor as I screamed to her, "I don't dance!" She didn't let that bother her. We danced and danced and danced, and I didn't even care how stupid I looked, because dammit, I had a blast.















I was dancing with Eleasha, then Cinderella (Stephanie Waters), then Matty, and looking out at the view of the illuminated Shirlington village, and before I could think it, Stephanie said it outloud..."We are so lucky."














I agreed. I indeed felt lucky to have been part of this great night. Shows open and close, but the opening of a new state of the art, multi-million dollar regional theatre...that is once in a lifetime. The band was wailing, and the singers were belting, and we danced for hours...and my Matty...we should all take a page from him...he has no inhibitions at all. He was the cutest thing ever, cutting a rug with the best of them...











So for the first time in many years, I danced, and not on a stage, but just for actual fun. Last night's Gala Opening of Into the Woods was about as "happily ever after" as you could imagine, and it couldn't have felt any better.

No comments: