Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Hello,Gorgeous...


Well. It happened. Jacqui Piro Donovan made me a fan of Funny Girl. I know it might shock some who know my sexual orientation, but I am NOT a Streisand fan. NOT a fan of this show. Till tonight. Jacqui made me love the songs that I thought prior to tonight were the elevator music you would hear on the way down to Hell. Sorry, is that harsh? It's probably a Streisand thing. Hearing her sing "People" makes me sick. Not that she's not good, it's just that...I dunno...she knows that she is, and you can hear that when she sings...it's all about a voice. Oh well. What do I know, BUG is one of my favorite movies.
Jacqui enabled the songs with such life, heart, and soul. She stepped into a Streisand role and made me forget about Babs. (thank God). It made me want to see a full production of this show to see her do it fully. She was remarkable.
The cast of tonight's concert was terrific, and we all had a great time doing the show.
It was really sad, though...Matty caught an extremely violent stomach bug and was sick all day, and night. He did the show anyway, (like Fanny would), and after the show, we ran right out to get him home. He is currently on the couch as I play the part of Nurse Ratchet. My poor baby! :(
But the show went well, we raised a lot of money for the Signature Outreach and Education projects, and that is what we were there to do, so it was a huge success. The house was packed, and VERY responsive.
Standout moment of the evening: Jacqui singing the final "Don't Rain on my Parade", hitting that last note as the twenty something member pit blared and red glitter confetti rained down on her. Stunning and breath taking.
Keep Matty in your thoughts, and I will talk to you tomorrow.
PS...
I have to share this with you...a video passed to me by my friend, Yvonne...Utterly amazing...yet...weird. Enjoy.
Goodnight,
Luv, SGS

4 comments:

[title of show] said...

Blasphemy Stephen! Blasphemy!

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I know, Matt. Don't take anything I say personally. I have no taste. My gay icon is Courtney Love. Ok, I like certain Streisand performances, just not all. No offense.

Googla Monster said...

I enjoyed the show.

Anonymous said...

So I'm just catching up on reading and I feel the urge to post. I'm not so much a "babs" fan. In fact I don't care for her at all. Judy Liza, Madonna, Bette THESE are names I shan't forget.

I must say I groaned at the thought of sitting through Funny Girl, but really enjoyed myself. Halfway through your number in the second act I almost had an orgams.

LOVE YA MEAN IT!