Monday, December 19, 2005

Maria, what is it you....


I saw that the Sound of Music was on last week. I missed it, dag-nab-it.
I remember how much I adored it as a young fag-child. (predictable).
But I never understood the lyrics...so I sang along whatever came out of my mouth that seemed to fit.
While walking a pooch today, I laughed out loud, remembering that in "How do you solve a problem like Maria?", when they say..."Maria's not an asset to the abbey", I always thought they said something like..."Maria's not an Assotouley Abby".
It fit.
I didn't think anything of it.
I thought an Assotouley Abby was some sort of nun-speak for like...a good nun or something. You know, like "so and so is such a Chatty Cathy"...
or "so and so is such an Assotouley Abby".
Years later I found the correct lyric. I didn't find it as fun.
Just a tidbit I recalled along my travels today...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the joke Caroline Rhea told (I believe it was in her HBO special?)

You know the scene where Maria leaves the von Trapps and goes back to the abbey, then she is speaking to the Reverend Mother? Well Julie Andrews is all proper with her accent and everything, and telling the RM how she "Can't face going back..."

In her response, the RM's accent is not so good! She says "What is it you can't face??" But it actually sounds like she says "What is it you cunt face??!"

Imagine how offended Julie Andrews must have been during that scene! ;-)

Sound of Music will never be the same after hearing that joke... Love your blog by the way. I am a DC resident and avid theater goer.

-Christy

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Totally!
Glad you like it here...