Monday, December 26, 2005

My Favorite Movies..."The Devil's Rejects"


" Where the hell you goin'? Damn it. Don't you NEVER turn your back on a fuckin' clown when he's talkin' to you!"

Wow...I just watched my Christmas gift from Filmdom (my roomate, Ryan). He got me The Devil's Rejects. Fan-fucking-tastic. I also watched another DVD Christmas gift from my Mom and Dad, The Phantom of the Opera. It still sucks. So glad I watched this brilliant film tonight to wash the distaste of the awful, I can't sing for shit, yet I'm cute Phantom out of my collective.

"Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin' Mark Twain shit. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."

70's horror was the best of the genre. The filmakers of that decade got it more than any before or since. Much of this is due to the volatile events of history happening around them that served as inspiration. This is why I largely decline new horror...I hate the modern horror film. All techno and quick cut editing. They never allow the audience to SEE the horror.
Now...when I saw Cabin Fever, I got excited by new horror again. That movie was more an homage to 70's horror than an actual movie of its own...I adored it.
When I saw House of 1,000 Corpses, I did enjoy it, though MTV seemed to helm the film...
I had my doubts about The Devil's Rejects. It takes an awful lot to lure me to a cineplex these days.
Ryan raved about the film, and I nodded, and thought, "Sure, bet it's great..."...I am such a picky horror movie fan that I only go to the ones I really am anxious about seeing. This film slipped off my radar. I was so stupid.

The Devil's Rejects is one of the most brilliant horror films of our decade. A mix of Pulp Fiction, Boogie Nights, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, rolled into one. An amazing 70's rock soundtrack, paired with slightly late over-dubbing at times, paired with the best cross cuts and fades...it is indicative of everything that I love about the 70's horror film.
Now, it is definately not for the squeamish...it is excruciating at times...unforgiving in the ways that The Last House on the Left is in its torture scenes. Anyone who has ever been victimized in any way should not see this film. The film is all about victimization, from both side's perspective.
The Thelma and Louise/Bonnie and Clyde style ending is the only fitting one you could end this film with, but what is strange is how you almost want these sick people to get away...
Of course you do, though...you want to see them in another film....they are that engaging. You hate and love them at once...very Natural Born Killers.

"There is no fuckin' ice cream in your fuckin' future. "

I am so glad Ryan gave me this tribute to what the horror genre should be. Few horror films have the balls that this one does...Rob Zombie is a man who knows what he is doing, and the proof is in the carnage. See this film.....but not around dinner-time.

1 comment:

Ryan Dean said...

I was extremely impressed with William Forsythe. Glad you liked it man. Can't wait til' your B-day so I can help you discover another a good film. Love ya Steve.