Sunday, December 11, 2005

On The Heels Of...Eleasha Gamble


Eleasha Gamble...what can I say? My best friend in the world for several years now.
Anyone who has seen either of our cabarets, Ebony and Ivory, Ebony and Ivory 2: The Second Coming, have seen a sneak peek on our strange and codependent relationship.
We are masters of procrastination, as well...this interview being a prime example...this was supposed to be a publicity interview for our last cabaret 2 months ago....she finally finished the questions this past week. Ridiculous.
She is currently out at Olney Theatre in Oliver!
Here's what Mama Boonie had to say...


SGS:Ok Eleasha...no holds barred...Honesty, please...After the last cabaret, which was a hit, but much stress to put together...what possibly made you want to step into the ring again?

EG: Honestly I did not want to do another Cabaret. Period. It makes by brain hurt, but since it was given to us we had no choice really. The cabaret only becomes fun for me when we finally get to do it for an audience. Before that it's hell on earth. Honest enough for you!

SGS:How did you and I meet?

EG: Well according to you we meet one night after I was doing West Side Story at Olney theatre through Matt who was also in the show with me. But as I have told you I don't remember meeting you. The first time I remember meeting you was when we did Grand Hotel at the Sig.

SGS:What do you love about working together on the cabaret process with me?

EG: What do I love?Hmmmm... I love the crazy ideas you get, how neurotic you tend to become, and the way you call my cell phone 20 times a day. You completely lose your mind and it makes me laugh, because you do it like no one else I know.

SGS:Hate?

EG:I hate that it always takes us ages to figure out what we want to do in our Cabaret. We are the worst procrastinators. If only people knew how often our set list changed. Up until the hours before. It will never change. If it ain't broke...

SGS: Funniest Eleasha and Steve story you can think of?

EG:One Friday night when Steve and I were preparing for our first cabaret we were on our way to Kinko's. Now this was like trip number 50 to the Kinko's so we were going a little crazy. Well were in the car and Steven and I are just so candid I turned to him and said, "I have gas." We were both loopy so we started hysterically laughing. Unfortunately also it smelled pretty foul too. So we finally made it to Kinko's and I couldn't stop farting and luckily it was just Steven and I in the Kinko's so we were just cutting up and dying from the stench in the Kinko's on a Friday night. (You had to be there)

SGS: Be glad you weren't there.What are your favorite things in the world?

EG:I have so many favorite things. I love my family and friends, Buddha, and knitting in the nude to name a few! ( That was for you Stevie)

SGS: Yes, she knits in the nude, folks. Explain "Mama Boonie"...

EG:This term comes from the film The Color Purple. At the end when Celie and her children are reunited, her son Adam hugs her and says what Steven and have translated to be, "Mama, Mama Boonie." And one day we started making Mama Boonie into an actual character. And soon it became a joke were we would see people on the street and say, " Hey it's Mama Boonie." So now we try to find Mama Boonie and when there is a Mama Boonie sighting we give each other a call. Mama Boonie has been sighted all over the place. Steven and I affectionately call each other Mama Boonie.

SGS: Thanks, Mama... What was the hardest thing to get used to during our time apart last year?

EG: Well my mom got really sick during my time in NYC last year and then my grandfather passed. So needless to say it was the hardest time of my life, and it's times like that that you need your friends. But luckily we live in the age of cell phones. ( Sorry about your phone bill!)

SGS: My pleasure...Upcoming projects?

EG:I'm in Oliver right now, and then nothing big until Into the Woods at Signature in the fall. I'm excited to play the witch again it's going to be fun to be in a show with you again!

SGS: Yeah, it'll be great to be in a show where your character wants mine dead. Charming. What do you love about our friendship the most?

EG: I love that I can be crazy with you. We can be such girls together when we watch The Color Purple and cry, but then I'll get a call from you while you're taking a dump on the toilet ( my favorite.) I feel I can be open with you, you're my sister. I can just look at you and have a conversation. You can make me laugh or you can make me cry. What don't I love about our friendship?Thanks, baby...I luvvvs you.

SGS: I have NEVER called you while taking a dump...simply for the reason that I cannot get reception in my bathroom...:) Talk soon, M. Boonie.

No comments: