Friday, September 14, 2007

Old Friends

(All Photos By Scott Suchman)
Merrily We Roll Along opened at Signature Theatre's Max Theatre, starring many of my close friends, including my hubster, Matt Conner as Scotty, Tracy Olivera as Mary, Tori Ross as Gussie, and the list goes on...
I thought that it was fantastic. I'd like to give props to my friends who are in the show, who I am proud to call friends, and whose talents I am always in awe of.
Tracy Lynn Olivera as Mary Flynn. Quite possibly one of the most perfect roles I have ever seen her in.


Tracy's nuanced and layered performance of Mary is truly remarkable. Her performance of "Like it Was" was heart wrenching, and something that anyone in any stage of their life can recognize the pain of. Equally as winning is her show stopping "Now You Know", which is tough love from a friend, and that builds to a rousing, stomping, clapping finale to Act 1. Act one is the sadder act, so this rousing number promises a more hopeful future (past?) in act two. And not just her songs deserve praise here. Her acting is impeccable.


Tory Ross is hysterical as Gussie Carnegie, the Broadway starlet who helps make Frank's career. Her line delivery is spot on and she has quite the set of pipes, too. Whenever she is onstage, my eye goes right to her. Let's hope we see much more of her in the DC area in the future!
Chris Bloch as Joe Josephson. He gave what I thought was yet another rock solid turn in this role, especially in act one. How sad to see his knowing conversation with Mary and Charlie about his wife.
Last but not least, the ensemble. They deserve so much credit that I could never write enough on this little blog to suffice. They are the glue that holds it all together, as they dance and sing through the transitions of each era, and double as every other character in the show.


I got sore just watching them, as they hold amazingly intricate frozen poses as scenes go on in front of them. Their concentration and energy are the driving force that leads the show along, and my hat is off to them all. Especially my hubby. ;)
So if you haven't seen Merrily yet, why not? Go and get yourself a ticket!

3 comments:

Googla Monster said...

I saw the show and Tracy was my favorite.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Googla Monster- Mine too!
And PS- to the "Anonymous" who keeps posting (and who I keep deleting)- Coward am I? That made me laugh. "Coward" says the "Anonymous" poster. I know who you are. I see your IP address. I think it's a bit sad carrying on like this, don't you?
Mr. Gartshore is fine in the show. Pick up any paper and it will say so all across the Eastern Seaboard. I wanted to give props to my friends in the show who I feel may have been overlooked a little, or under appreciated. That's all. Not a slight on Mr. Gartshore, but a "and these guys are fantastic too!".
Grow up.

Sarah said...

I really liked Tracy, as well. Great voice in a great part, and it doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous.