Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I Feel the Earth Move Under my Feet...

Ok, there was totally a small earthquake in Northern Va today. The epicenter was in Annandale. It was at 1:30pm. Did you feel it? I did! I actually just thought it was thunder rumbling, but then looked out and saw no dark clouds. After a "?" moment, I think I just shrugged it off and went on typing my previous blog entry.
It wasn't until after I went to go teach at school for an hour that I came home and checked my e-mail and found these two alerts from Arlington Alert:

"The National Earthquake Information Center, via FEMA Operations, is reporting that Northern VA has experienced rumblings equivalent to an earthquake of magnitude 2 to 3. It remains unclear if this was an actual earthquake, or due to another cause. Arlington OEM will continue to monitor. OEM/LCS Sent by Arlington County OEM to All users (e-mail) through Arlington Alert"


? and then this:

"The USGS has confirmed a magnitude 1.8 "micro" earthquake occurred near Annandale, VA at 1:30pm. There have been no reports of damage or injuries."

Sooo...did you feel it?

2 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

I heard and felt it in Alexandria! It was one of those "what the heck was that?!" moments! Thanks for c
clarifying what the heck that was!!

Wild!

Donna Migliaccio said...

So that's what that was! I was getting ready to leave for rehearsal and heard this rumbling (I can't say I felt it). It sounded like a large truck was passing by my house or a large plane was overhead, just for a second.

Very weird.