Saturday, April 01, 2006

Lisa Minoolie


Rabbit and I watched "Liza with a Z" tonight over some Cici's Pizza (again) and Yuengling Lager (creature of habit).
Well...it was better than I expected it to be. Not that I thought it would be bad, I just...I don't know. I'll stick to my original statement. Better than I thought it was going to be.
The first song set, "Yes", "God Bless the Child", "Liza with a Z", and "It was a Good Time", was the weakest, in my opinion. "It was a Good Time" is so strange as a concert piece. An odd "Daddy's Gone" kind of breakdown number. Very dramatic, yet...strange out of context. Rabbit and I were scratching our heads like...huh?
Odd choice. But...this from a man who sang "VD is for Everybody" in one of his cabarets, so...each to his own.
The second set..(The Red Dress set) was stronger, with "I Gotcha"- first of all, damn she danced with wild abandon...very impressive.
Also in that set was "Son of a Preacher Man", and the epilepsy inspired "Ring Them Bells".
Then there was the "Little Lord Fauntleroy" set...where she was dressed in a black and white school boy's outfit. In this set, she and the ensemble performed the AMAZING "Bye Bye Blackbird". The simple and gorgeous "You've Let Yourself Go", the "I'm a white girl singing a vaudeville number"-"Mammy"...ok. Strange, but...this from a man who sang "Miss Celie's Blues" in one of his cabarets, so, again-I digress.
Then, the inevitable Cabaret medley...
It was so great to see her in her hey-day. Liza was in top form in this concert, and it was a treat to see her preserved on film in this top form.
My mother introduced me to this album as a child, and, as I have said earlier, wondered why I was gay.
I warn you, readers...watching Liza with a Z will most definitely make you gay.
I don't know about you, but I LOVE a Cabaret...


Luv,
SGS

No comments: