Monday, April 03, 2006

Sexual Healing


Me and Matthew went to see The Sex Habits of American Women at Signature Theatre last night.
I have to say, we both thoroughly enjoyed it.
I am a fan of anything at all to do with the 50's anyway, so when I walked into the Theatre, I saw the set and wanted to move in. I mean...folks, it is just spot on 1951 home. Sunken living room and all.
The pre show announcement is, I have to say, very funny and clever.
I will not include any spoilers here, because I enjoyed taking the journey of the play, with all of its twists in plot. So, no spoilers here.
What I love here is the faux perfection of the 50's, juxtaposed with the more raw and dark side of human nature that lies seething beneath a monogram apron.
The struggle to remain perfect and pristine in this gleaming and Stepford era is always an engaging subject. Social taboos such as adultery, or....well...I won't say the other ones....were things not discussed. The stress they caused must have been unimaginable. "The Bridges of Madison County", or "Far From Heaven" come to mind.
The script also juxtaposes a filmed documentary in between scenes, in a one-two punch effect. Amy McWilliams ,(an SGS Blogspot obsession), plays the interviewee of the modern documentary. Megan MacPhee plays her daughter, Katie. Paul Morella plays her interviewer.
The modern section appears on 15 flat screen monitors, cleverly hidden within the set.

It hammers home the "You've come a long way. baby" sentiment. Any remnants of the pitch perfect 50's housewife, if that woman ever truly existed, are rendered unrecognizable.


Back in 1950, the entrancing Helen Hedman plays Agnes, the 65 year old, yet still chic and gorgeous housewife of Dr. Fritz Tittles. Dr. Tittles is busy writing a book on The Sex Habits of American Women. He has recently retire from his practice to write this book.
Their daughter, Daisy Tittles- 35 and still a spinster, is played with angsty gusto by Teresa Castracane. Her best friend,Ruby Lawrence-the girl next door, who is the 50's ideal...(just had her first child, married, always dressed to the nines), is played by Casie Platt.


Will Gartshore plays Edgar Green, a former student of Dr. Tittles, who is a friend of the family. He, as always, turns in top notch work here. His character is very pivotal, too. But then again, they all are pivotal.
Michael Baron (not Michael Carnahan, as Nancy McCord misquotes in her squib on the ever enlightening AllArtsReviewForU website) produces some fine direction here. It looks like you are watching a 50's TV show, even by the actors stances on the stage. The little nuances that he has put into this fascinating work by Julie Marie Myatt, are self evident. Topped off with a fantastic bow sequence, that is quite ingenious.
The soundtrack of the piece had audience members around me singing lightly, as they recalled these songs from the past.
I had the honor of talking with Michael Baron, the director, Helen Hedman, and Julie Marie Myatt, the playwright, after the show. All were very cordial and kind, and offered insightful viewpoints into the show and the process along the way. I was honored to talk to such an emerging voice.
The performances are all very engaging, and in particular, Helen Hedman is a delight. She carries so much of the brunt of the play, and they have chosen her able hands to do it.
I heard through the grapevine that the show is quickly selling out, and I can honestly say to you that I had a great evening of theatre, and think that you will too.
Reserve your tickets NOW.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I had forgotten the "cell announcement", that was too funny for words...

All that 50's stuff is kinda scary for us guys closing in on 50. Takes us further back than we might wish to go.

I loved the show though..

I still think I would like to see it with 40" panels hidden around the set.. It would be interesting to see if the interview with Joy would hold a more significant part of the production if the monitors were bigger.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I agree with the size of the monitors, but actually liked the 15 small ones. Small aspects that created the whole.
I can see your point clearly, though.