Sunday, April 23, 2006

SICK-Part 2


Well...there is good news and bad news.
After over 2 days of continuous fever, this morning, at about 9:30ish, the fever finally broke, and I have not been above 100.3 since. (A fever is categorized as 100.4 or higher). SO I now feel like I can sit still without becoming uncomfortable. I hope to sleep through the night tonight-it would be nice considering that I have not slept a complete night's sleep since Wednesday night.
When you have a continuous up and down fever for over 2 days, you aren't really present on this earth. You float somewhere in between.
I would awaken almost every half hour and recheck my temperature, (just sure that it would be approaching 107 and total brain damage), this was never the case, just a crazy paranoia on my part. Why not? It was at least a thought to entertain me as I tossed and turned in my soaking bed. Yes, soaking.
I changed bed clothes 2-3 times a night, and am convinced that I lost about 5 pounds.
I sweated to beat Jesus. What a joy I must have been to sleep with these past few nights. Matt deserves a medal of honor, and I hope to God that he doesn't get this too.
The really bad thing is the painful cough. So severe that it brought up bloody mucus at times. (Ryan, who had this exactly one week ago said that he had this as well, just from the dryness and dehydration). My cough has rendered my voice useless. I have barely spoken and drank nothing but water for 48 hours. I have not smoked since Friday night. Yeah, it's that serious.
I am steaming my voice and doing everything that everyone is told to do.
And I have a 5 hour rehearsal day, then workshop tomorrow night at Ford's.
Don't really know at this point how it all is going to happen. I am hoping that I wake up tomorrow morning with just a little bit more than I woke up with today. If so, I'll be able to muscle my way through it. If not...hmm...it could be interesting. Let's just cross our fingers, toes, and everything in between.
Previously, while in that fever induced glazed over kind of state, I never really watched anything on TV...I mean-it was on, but I just was staring at it, in a daze. As Matt said to me today, I seemed like I couldn't find the energy to talk.




I plopped on the couch, awaiting and praying that my Motrin kick in soon, and watched on of my all time favs-
The Birds.
Then Matty and I watched the marathon of "The Haunting" on The Discovery Channel. Creepy stuff....then he wanted to switch the station so he wouldn't get nightmares, so we switched the station to SNL. Boo. Just not that funny anymore. I woke him up when it was over...(oh yes-I never really fell asleep...I just sat there, boiling away on the couch), and we went down to bed.



Another evening of soaking sheets, changing bedclothes, and general uncomfortability. As the night passed, and Turner Classic Movies was softly playing in the background, I awoke about once every 20 minutes. To use the restroom, to get another glass of ice water, to change my pajamas, what have you. I remember that at one point there was a Joan Crawford pic on TCM...but I can't tell you which one it was....THAT is how out of it I was. My whole night was spent looking at a little thermometer and a black and white movie screen.
101.5
102.7
102.8
103.4
103.3
102.6
102.2
102.0
101.7
All night I monitored this...(again, for that fear of my brain melting at 107.)
Then this morning I was finally done with my fever...thank God.
So, today was spent a little bit more comfortably on the couch watching...
Fear No Evil (One of the most bizarre films I have ever seen)
The Wedding Date (Dermot Mulrooney...yum.)
Jaws the Revenge (seriously...they ram the shark with their boat...it is so bad)
Anyways...I sound like Suzanne Pleshette tonight, so if God is good, I hope that I sound even just a smidge more like myself by tomorrow. Of course, my first thing I have ever done at Ford's, and my first time working with Joe Calarco, and I get the fucking bird-flu.
I have to go and curl up on the couch now, as the next movie in my sick weekend movie spree starts...it's title is apt and fitting...
Good Night and Good Luck.
Luv,
SGS

No comments: