Thursday, April 06, 2006

Spring


As the landscape is starting to come back to life again, I have been working more and more. While I have had the time to witness its glorious rebirth, I have not had much time to partake in my own yard's resurrection. I finally got a chance to get out back and do some Spring prep, however minimal.
I got some mulch and grass seed from the local Nursery, both extremely effective, and pretty cheap. (This is design on a dime, folks). I used a Silver Dollar mulch that I am quite fond of, having used it on many projects before. I mulched the ground around my Azalea bushes, my two rose bushes, a Hydrangea, and the bed also contains two large containers: one with my Weeping Yucca, the other containing Disco Belle Hybiscus(my favorite perennial), some spring bulbs that never quite produce in the volume I want them to, and some drippy Vinca Variegata to round it out.
This is what the bed looked like last summer...
My Disco Belle...
















My Hydrangea...















I also hauled out the duck family...

These ducks float around the pond when the water garden is up and running...(Matty collects these, and I can't remember what all of their names are...I remember one is named Kirk Duckless)...Oh, and the one with horns is new...an opening night gift from Damn Yankees...his duck brethren will have to teach him to swim very shortly...
I put out a new dining table centerpiece...

I find it cute and Springy....all about color.
I took my main interest in gardening the Summer before I played Dickon in
The Secret Garden. I, from then on, grew my obsession. My obsession turned into Landscape Design, water gardens, and so forth. I just love the ability to bring forth life and color from where there was none.
So as you can see, the garden isn't really all that much right now...

But as the song goes, "When a thing is Wick, it will grow..."
Happy Spring...
luv,
SGS

3 comments:

The Follow Spot said...

i wish i could make my yard look nice - i am not good at planting and picking the right plants/flowers, plus my deck covers85 percent of the yard and the fence blocks the rest of the sun so....i cant even keep grass. i like your Hydrangea but arent they bad for dogs? My favorite is a purple hyacinth. I would buy one for my mom every year!!! I have to pick something for my deck flower holders.

Anonymous said...

We have a duck in our pond named Lawrence Fishburne! Isn't naming inamimate objects fun?

Miss you boys.

chaindropz said...

I like your Hybiscus photo. I raise pink hybiscus in what I call swamp pots. I had trouble raising them untill I learned that in hot weather they need about 2liters of water a day. Look at my swamp pots on chaindropz flowers.