Friday, April 28, 2006

Leavin'...


Well, tomorrow morning at obscene o'clock, I am off to PA to see the parental units.
I really don't want to go, but I have to. Being a Cancer, I usually want to stay in my own shell, and in my own routine. I hate to deviate from my routine at all.
That being said, I will gladly drive home and raid the local grocery store, Pechin's Market, and bring home tons of good food for cheap. I will also enjoy seeing the mountains of Pennsylvania coming back to life on my way back home.
I will be returning on Sunday evening, just in time for an intimate barbecue at Amy and Steve McWilliam's house on Sunday evening. Lynn Filusch will also be coming in this weekend for an audition, so it will be nice to see her, as well. I'm sure Sadie and Buddha will be happy to see each other again, as well.
I usually make a Fall trek back to my house, because I love to see the Appalachians during the Autumn. I enjoy stopping and buying pumpkins and Indian Corn and Cider at roadside stands.
I usually work during the Spring and Summer, so trips home are not that often during those seasons. I can't even remember the last Spring I was in Pennsylvania.
I have such fond memories of these seasons in this glorious state, too. I would get a call from my best friend, Julie, and we would drive up to their cabin on the Yough, and me and Julie and her parents would take their boat out and intertube on the river. We had such a good time. I remember that Julie and I would make mix tapes together in anticipation of such outings.


Some songs that stick out in my head were, "Always be my Baby" by Mariah Carey, "Soul to Squeeze" by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and "If" by Janet Jackson. Also anything by the Steve Miller Band.
We would drink pop after pop...(sorry, soda) and have what we called "cabin burping contests". A "Cabin Burp" was a raw, savage burp that we would never have uttered under normal circumstances, but in the savage wilds of the Summit Mountain, it was acceptable.

I have to confess something...I started writing this, not meaning to get sentimental for a friend who I have lost touch with, then I got sentimental. I remembered her parent's home phone number by heart, and dialed it not 2 minutes ago. Her dad answered, and informed me that she gave birth to a baby boy named Caleb, not 2 weeks ago. Wow.
Where have I been?
Wow. Now I just talked to her, and might see her tomorrow. I hope I do.
I will slip through Cumberland and Lick Hollow tomorrow on my way home. I will pass Sideling Hill, and it's geological exhibit, I will pass down Historic Route 40, and pass Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob, Laurel Caverns and other sites of interest.
I will be home for not more than 24 hours.
I will speak to you all on Sunday night.

PS..I am STILL obsessed with Amy McWilliams...
Luv,
SGS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip back to the "homeland." I'm with you on the folks I've gotten out of touch with. My best friend for 20+ years and I haven't seen each other in almost four years (probably since her wedding that I sang at). I almost did the same thing when I was home at Easter, but it just didn't happen. I hope reconnecting is fun and have a safe trip.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Hi all!

[url=http://poker-moza.blogspot.com/]poker[/url] http://poker-moza.blogspot.com/
See you