Thursday, April 13, 2006

NEXT!



Whew!
I've had a full week of auditions this week. For various things, here and there.
People are so funny at auditions. I think that auditions bring out the best and worst in actors.
To all of you who read my blog, and that tell me so, NO....this is not about you...
I love you fools...you fools might just know who I am talking about, though...
Ok...Here's my deal.
I'm not really an audition-talker.
Meaning?
Yes, I talk to my friends, ESPECIALLY my good friends at auditions. That is fine and cool, and whatever.
I don't even know what I am trying to say by this...but especially right before I go in to sing/read...I don't like to chat the light fantastic, you know?
Usually because I am trying to remember my words/lyrics, and don't need a 411 on anyone's social/theatre life right at that point. I can get that after, you know?
So and So number 1 sits next to me. Oh, lord. I know I am in for it. I open my sides/music to make sure that I seem like I am not interested in a dialogue at that moment.
It doesn't seem to work.
What ensues?
blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.
I cannot even focus on what they are saying.
I hate this with a passion.
I saw very good friends there with whom I exchanged pleasantries, then went back to the task at hand. That was fine...and somehow, they did not question why I didn't persue an in-depth conversation with them. They just had better sense.
I also sat next to 2 college girls, presumably from CUA, who loudly gibber-jabbered about musicals they liked or hated.
They had a 20 minute discussion about Lippa's The Wild Party. Then they giggled and said.."Oh my GOD! We are such geeks! We are at a musical theatre audition and talking about musical theatre shows! Oh my GOD!".
My indigestion starts at about this point. I pop a pill.
They go on to talk about Damn Yankees at Arena Stage. And about how they liked this, but didn't like that, and blah-blah-blah.
I realize that they do not recognize me, because...hello...I played #13.
They went on to dish Pacific Overtures at Signature. I knew they didn't recognize me, because...I was a girl, 10 year old boy, samurai, priest, and all in Kabuki and a wig.
I have this to say to young-uns.
When you go to an audition, and yes, I realize that you are nervous, and energy has to come out somehow, however...
Shut the fuck up.
If you see someone you know, fine...exchange hellos, chat for a second, but PLEASE gage out the other person's mental state, and if you get the slightest vibe that they want to go an d be left alone, then by all means...oblige them!
If they want to talk more, they will continue.
Also...DO NOT TALK ABOUT/TRASH OTHER AREA PRODUCTIONS! You never know who is sitting next to you, that you do not recognize. I had a good mind to humiliate these chatty Cathy's, but I couldn't find the negative energy to do it with.
These 2 chatty's saw a friend of theirs who had MUCH more sense than them, who, (after repeated attempts by them to keep conversation going), excused himself by saying..."I'm sorry, I'm just trying to concentrate...".
They scoffed..."Whatever...this is my 4th audition this week...concentrate my ass..".
I would love to go and teach an audition workshop at CUA or any other area school.
These upstarts that I have had run ins with in the past 2-3 years have TONS to learn!
Ok...the old fart is calming down now. (and folks...I WAS an old fart next to some of these fetuses that I was reading against).

The fruits of this week's auditions are starting to bloom already, though.
I got cast as Oscy on Summer of '42 at Round House. The show is about a year from now. wow. Funny thing about it?
I am playing a 16 year old.
I'll be 29 by then.
Where does one purchase Botox?
Luv,
SGS

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!! And I told you, you were going to get that role. Congrats baby! 3 more days, and "The kid is coming home!"

rabbit1970 said...

Man, that logo is 70s campy-horrible...

Donna Migliaccio said...

I'll say it again: congratulations, my friend.

And I must confess to being one of those who will happily talk at an audition, to strangers or friends. Chatting has a calming effect on me. I expect your two gossipy girls were nervous as hell, and that's how they were dealing with it.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Eleasha...
Thanks, baby...
I am counting down the days...
Rabbit...I KNOW! This is the logo from the Goodspeed production...can you believe it?
Donna...Honey, I'd talk to you anytime of the week! Yes, the girls were nervous...I just would have preferred them to deal with that less invasively!
PS-saw David Jourdan last night...he sends love and kisses!

Donna Migliaccio said...

David Jourdan...

::slobbers::

Q 5 Go said...

Congrats on the role!! That should be a lot of fun!!

What were the other auditions for? What audition is the pic from?

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I don't want to say.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Stuff.

Q 5 Go said...

Gotcha! Tottally Understand