Sunday, August 21, 2005

Speaking of Mrs. Lovett...


"Never stray from the path, never eat a windfall apple and never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle. "...Angela Lansbury, as Granny in The Company of Wolves.

With "The Brothers Grimm" coming soon to a theatre near you, and Into the Woods coming to Signature in the spring of 2006, maybe I'm just in the mood for a good fairy tale... If you have not seen this movie, and I'm betting most have not, then put it in your Netfix cue ASAP...

"You pay too much attention to your granny. She knows a lot but she doesn't know everything. And if there's a beast in men, it meets its match in women too. "

The Company of Wolves came out in 1984. Directed by Neil Jordan, (The Crying Game, Interview with a Vampire), it is a different twist on the Little Red story. The sexualization and imagery of this film are very creepy, indeed. And Angela Lansbury is fantastic as Granny, of course.
This is a lesser known film for reasons unknown to me. I was reading a British horror magazine 2 years ago, and read an article about it. It intrigued me and I have been searching for it ever since. It came out on DVD last year, and I've finally stumbled upon it on Netflix.
With the Fall slowly creeping upon us, this movie is great for a Saturday afternoon cuddle up on the couch, (as I did yesterday). But whatever you do, don't stray from the path...

"Little girls, this seems to say / Never stop upon the way / Never trust a stranger friend / No-one knows where it may end / As you're pretty, so be wise / Wolves may lurk in every guise / Now as then, 'tis simple truth / Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth. "-Little Red

2 comments:

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Paging Lauren Williams...

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, I'll put it in my queue. But my question is. Are there titties in it?
Even better is there Bush, and I don't mean W.