Monday, August 28, 2006

Beach Trip, Part One...Safari Motel




The motel. Wow. First off, we were not supposed to stay here. We originally were to stay with Danny at his mother's Beach House. This met with some unfortunate circumstances involving lingering visitors at the house, so we decided to make it easier on all involved and rent a motel room that excepted pets.
We found the Safari Motel.
Well, I love the whole tic-tackiness of Ocean City. That is part of the whole appeal for me in the first place. This place was just as tic-tack as it gets. The jungle motif was hysterical. This huge ape guarded the 4th floor balcony. We all took pictures with it. Too much.
I named him George.











In the spacious and luxurious lobby..heh...was this stuffed Lion, along with other African masks and random tiki totem poles...I felt right at home...it actually reminded me of some of our library's decor. I could have easily moved into the Safari Motel and wanted for nothing more.



One of the best parts of this place was the balcony. In the nights and in the mornings, we would go out here and either welcome the day, or say goodbye to it. Well, let me amend that. Matt would welcome it with coffee. I would kiss it goodbye with Yuengling. (natch).













I loved sitting up here and watching life go by beneath my feet, four stories below.
Moments like these are few when you have the chance to savor what you have right in front of you.
The sound of the ocean crashing to the shore. The sound of gulls squawking. The ocean breeze intermittently caressing your face. The grit of sand that you feel on your legs and feet.
And the cheap looking, yet effective room 4 floors below.
God Bless the Safari.

No comments: