Saturday, August 05, 2006

THE DESCENT


Tonight I went to see "The Descent". Now...it takes a whole heap of a ton to get me to the cinema anymore. I wanted to go see it starting around yesterday, when the buzz machine for the film started burning my ears with "Best horror film in a decade" claims.
Today, I woke up and smoked the morning cig, and read the great review in the Post. Hmmmm...it's on. I wanna see it. I call the Husband, I call the Roomie. I call Kara Tameika Watkins, they are all in. Beloved friends Nancy, Eleasha, and Jenny Cartney all say a respective "Hell, no".
I stop home for lunch...The new EW is there, giving the movie an A-....I'm SO in now...
We get there and the movie starts...



I was on edge for 2 hours. The claustrophobia, the darkness...the movie takes the time to give a damn about developing characters, so that you get a sense of who you are soon enough going to watch die.
The scariest part of the film for me was the spelunking parts. I'm sorry, but people need to find better things to do with their time. People who do this are fu*king nuts.
The film is directed brilliantly, and yes...I had some problems with things, but I have to say...this is the direction horror films should and WILL start getting back to.
You will jump, scream, cover your eyes, feel nauseated, and want to yell at the screen.
I recommend this film to anyone who is looking to be genuinely scared...but be ready...this is really terrifying...don't go expecting "Scream"...this is raw and brutal horror.
Warms my heart that we are moving back into good horror flicks...
Best since the 70's...hmmm...maybe because we were fighting an endless and bloody war against people who we don't know are the "enemy" because they dress like real people, and our government is lying to us the whole while...ohh...sorry. But this political climate is WHY horror films are getting better by the year.
Go and see it. Man up and deal with the gore...the film is fantastic.
Luv,
SGS

4 comments:

rabbit1970 said...

Congrats on your 400+ post, baby!
Yeah, Fry's doing better- he's hanging up here with me @ Sean's place. I'm just glad that he didn't get hurt as bad as I thought he had...
Sorry to hear that so all of you guys got the sickness...I've still got a cough- do you?
I can't wait to see "The Descent!" I wish I coulda been there.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Yeah, still hanging on to the cough...
See you when you get back!

Tracy said...

ok, you know i love the scaries, too...and I REALLY want to see this...but...is this going to keep me up bothering evan all night? I don't think he can take much more...i had a pretty hard time with the Grudge, and that was only PG-13...help! What should I dooooo?!?!

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Paintballing near enfield hoist fitness equipment Prozac 28generic 29 lexapro medication information Debt consolidation connecticut http://www.jeep7.info/Better_than_toyota_corolla.html Whistler weather radar detector Lexapro dangers Continuous infusion nexium Gang bang letters Manufacture of lexapro Phentermine and diet paxil Colton ford nude usa lexapro order online http://www.eczema-suffer.info http://www.contact-lens-price.info/contact-lens-orders.html