Sunday, August 20, 2006

In the Shoes of...Matt Bogart


Matt Bogart had been an inspiration to me since the first time I saw him perform, in Miss Saigon. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to watch him perform in many other shows, and have had the wonderful experience of working with him several times, first in 110 in the Shade at Signature Theatre, then in Damn Yankees at Arena Stage.
If you don't know Matt at all, I want you to know that he is probably the sweetest man you will ever meet. He ain't hard on the eyes, neither.
:)
Everyone should be in love with Matt Bogart. Men, women, dogs, cats, machinery.
Sorry...off the point.
He is working on a new musical called ACE right now with new wife, Jessica Boevers.
I caught up with him on the phone for several hours the other night, and here are the details...





SGS- How did you and I first meet?
MB- Let's hold a few secrets close to our hearts, shall we?

SGS-*blush* Ummm...of course..{clears throat}...our first show together was 110 in the Shade at Signature Theatre. I think that Starbuck {Bogart} and Jimmy {moi} had a very "special" relationship. Don't you think that we brought that to the table?


MB- Yup! Brokeback Mountain had nothing on us. I'm waiting for Brokeback the musical to really launch our careers to the next level...and then Fred Shiffman can come to watch us 6 times. Honestly, I respect you and your work ethic so much, Stephen, because you're up for anything and you make the work so much fun and collaborative. I think our Jimmy and Starbuck were tired of people in the world trying to make them less of the men they strove to be. They shared the same loneliness and it naturally brought them to side with each other as friends, just as we are...friends...and I just can't quit you.

SGS-{unbuttons top buttons}..ummm..so....Side Show at Signature. I saw that show 3 times! Tell me a little bit about working on that show...


MB- All I can say: Joe Calarco is a genius. I felt very lucky to have performed the role of Terry, a role considered to be outside of my age range at the time, along side Will Gartshore who played the role of Buddy, and with an extremely talented ensemble of mostly DC actors. Joe is one of the most gifted and visionary directors that I have ever worked beside. I was continually intrigued and fascinated by his choices for the show. He was most brilliant at striking that beautiful balance between allowing his actors to invent and feel ownership of their characters yet guiding them to clearly express his perspective of the story.

SGS-When I first saw you perform, (Tour of Miss Saigon), you were instantly a role model of mine...I SO respect your work, and doing 110 with you was one of the highlights of my career. When the Helen Hayes nominations came out that year, and Matt was NOT recognized for his touching Starbuck, I was very sad. He was nominated for his luscious Lancelot in Camelot at Arena Stage...I felt that Lancelot should have been considered a leading actor role, not supporting...Dunno...and it was you as Lancelot, nominated beside me, Tom Simpson, Harry Winter, and Jim Moye from 110...(also Michael Forrest from 1776)...I love all the other men, besides Jim Moye the tool bag (just kidding, Jim...I love you too....tool) and it was almost awkward to see everyone at the party afterwards, but Matt Bogart was so gracious and congratulatory to me...it touched me. I guess this is not a question, but me saying to the readers what an amazing guy you are in real life. I still am a little bit pouty that you were not nominated for your dreamy Joe Hardy in Damn Yankees, but hey. I know, nominations, nominations, blah, blah. Awards ceremonies sometimes strike me as oddly structured and unfair. Squares versus triangle vs circles...


MB- Thanks for your sweetness, and I do want to address this question/comment: Jim Moye is a complete toolbag...and we love him. Beyond that, you rightly deserved to have been awarded recognition for your work as Jimmy in 110 in the Shade. To my mind, award ceremonies should simply acknowledge those who attempt to do work outside their own boxes, push boundaries, and specifically, the Helen Hayes Awards, should highlight local talent responsible for that bravery. Unfortunately, awards ceremonies are now advertisements for the actors, the numerous theatres, and the industry itself.


It's important that we continue to do the work for the purest of reasons and not to get carried away with receiving praise to float our egos. The work should stay focused, not to be aimed towards attaining award recognition or the work runs the risk of becoming static and ceasing to be honest, artistic or story driven. Without question, I'm thrilled to be recognized for my work but, moreover, I'm just happy to be part of DC's wonderfully rich theatre community.

SGS-Well said...{lets hair down and lowers eye glasses-ala Brooke Sheilds, circa 1987}...Tell me about your wife...


MB- She's foxy, talented, hilarious, and cute as a button. All this at first glance, but to me she's one of my oldest and best friends-my true companion. A woman who will disarm you with her beauty, her wit, and her attentive heart. Oh, yeah, she's also an incredibly versatile actress and singer who I've witnessed successfully direct two very difficult plays.

SGS-{Rebuttons top buttons}...How did you meet?

MB- We met in college at the University of Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music, but we didn't date until after we had graduated and lived in NYC for many years.

SGS-{leans forward}-You were featured on the infamous Times-Square Jockey Broadway Ad...how was that shoot?


MB-Mr. William Ivey Long was the costume designer for the shoot and he had originally drawn me to be wearing Jockey boxer shorts. However, when I showed up for the shoot, he had other garments in mind, since he had time to rummage through the upcoming season's underwear choices. In the midst of the excitement of the shoot, I lost my inhibitions and agreed to wear a very skimpy Jockey jock strap type underwear. My grandmother, Chloveta, came to NYC to see me perform in Miss Saigon, and we took her to Times Square where you couldn't ignore the billboard. She looked up and said, "That's really neat. However, if you took anymore off, it would become a completely different thing all together."

SGS-Indeed.....Um...You have 2 CD's out. How and why did you decide to record these? PS, they are really fantastic CD's, everyone...

MB-I've always wanted to be a recording artist. In college I was always taken with the musical theatre voices of David Carol, Brent Barrett, and Anthony Warlow. I fell in in love with the big baritone, 11 o'clock songs that told story, possessed great meaning and resonated with me. I made mixed tapes (I'm showing my age) of these songs and tried to aspire and assimilate my talent by singing along with these amazing singers.



Eventually, I made contact with a well-established musical theatre record producer, John Yap of Jay Records, and he's been my ticket to becoming a musical theatre recording artist. To date I have 2 solo records, working on a third, 2 original musical cast recordings and I am highlighted on 5 compilation recordings. Hopefully there are a few college students out there singing along with their mixed tapes...CD's, that is.

SGS-When will DC audiences see you again?

MB-I have nothing lined up at this time, but I'm filled with antici....pation.

SGS-What makes you happy?

MB-Hearing the people I love laugh and watching children being themselves.

SGS-Mad?

MB-Disrespectful people and noise, which is all the same to me.

SGS-Dream roles?

MB-Billy in Carousel, Sweeney, George in Sunday, Bobby in Company, Hamlet, Henry V, all of Tennessee William's men including Val in Orpheus, Brick, Stanley, ect.


SGS-I'd make one hell of a Blanche...Last time you were inspired?

MB-Recently, I began writing a novel I've been thinking about for 3 years after seeing the movie Syriana. My novel is not that intensely political but it was perfect to be writing from my apartment in SW, DC with a clear view of the Capitol building's dome. Now that's inspiration...for change, I think.

SGS-Last time you cried?

MB-Simultaneously laughing and crying about becoming married.

SGS-Top 5 films?

MB-The Godfathers, Trainspotting, Southpark, Amadeus, Room with a View.

SGS-Favorite music?

MB-Independent musicians like my brother Kevin Bogart, friends Todd Almond and Katy Pfaffl. They rock and they're trying to share what they've got to say.

SGS-Favorite Musical?

MB-Carousel, by far my favorite.

SGS-What's up next for you?

MB-I'm performing the title role in a new musical called, "ACE", opposite my wife, Jessica Boevers, which is written by Richard Oberacker. Richard had written "The Gospel According to Fishman" which had it's premier at Signature Theatre in Arlington. Including Richard, there are several other U of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music(CCM) compatriots collaborating on the project. Other than that, I'll be figuring out the rest of my life, like everyone else.

SGS-Advice to those young theatre folk, scratching their way up?

MB-Well, I hope no one is scratching but, rather, bounding from one great life/work experience to the next. I loved what Fred Shiffman said in his interview with you, "Find something to fall back on and then find time to fall back on it" (I think that's the quote) because it will enrich your theatre experience and you won't take it for granted. Work your tails off so that when opportunity meets your preparation, you're ready for luck to step in.
All the best.

SGS- Well folks, there you have it. I have to go take a cold shower.
Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did...
Luv,
SGS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I agree completely. Matt is a fabulous singer. I broke my bank account to see Zhivago 5 times...