Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Beach Trip, Part Three...The Food


I went out in search of Grotto's pizza, as I was told by many that it was THE thing to eat at the beach for me. I looked everywhere, but to no avail. The pizza that I found to eat was sufficient. During the day, I got pizza from "The Hungry Surfer", and at night from "Tugo's". Yes, I basically ate pizza the entire time. Except in the mornings...in the mornings, I would eat a ham, egg, and cheese on toast from Phillips, which was next door to the Safari. (pictured above).
I adored them. The best I ever ate, actually....with real thick ham. Almost like country fried, you know? mmmm.







One of the best parts about the beach is that the restaurants are about 60 feet behind you. I could saunter up, get 2 pieces of pizza, and flop back on the beach to feed. And since there were so many places to eat, and SO many pizza joints, you hardly ever had to wait in line for anything.









There were many "All you can eat" buffets around...(none of which allowed Pugs, unfortunately). I shied away from these, as I am not good in a buffet situation...I don't usually eat a whole bunch in one sitting. Matt and Eleasha went to Phillip's Breakfast buffet, but I opted for the ham, egg, and cheese form Phillips for take out. (and one for the pug...I gave him the ham and egg, and ate the bread myself).











The one time that I went to a dinner buffet was also at Phillip's...
They primarily serve seafood. I cannot eat seafood. Nor shellfish.
I was not alone...at least Priscilla had the eating habits of a ten year old, just like me. Notice our disdain during the dining hour...









Thank God there was a children's section of the buffet that served fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, ect. I stole 2 hot dogs for the dog. (he wasn't eating his dog food....guess he thought that he wanted to eat like hell on his vacation too.
After the night at Phillip's buffet, I really didn't want to even look at food again...ok, I lied, I repeated my usual diet the next day...ham,egg,cheese in the morning, pizza in the afternoon, pizza for dinner...sigh.
It was lovely.
What was more satisfactory about this ridiculous binge was that after all that, I came home and weighed myself...I lost 1 pound. ? Then I remembered all of the walking, and hours of wave surfing, and I guess it makes sense...
Therefore, after this coronary culinary kamikaze of a vacation diet, stepping on the scale, I felt no remorse...why should I?
How many times does it not matter what you eat, how you spend your day, how dirty your feet are?
Not many.
Viva la Beach.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How you eat like a 12 year old child and maintain the waist of said 12 year old child is beyond me, Mr. SGS....must be good genes in there somewheres! Glad the beach was a hoot.

Mary said...

Grotto's is across the Delaware line SGS. You have to go to Bethany, Dewey or Rehobeth beach. But there is plenty of good pizza on the boards like you said.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Anthony...honey, I fight the bulge like everyone else, only I don't do it the way everyone else does...by watching their diet...(which I should do)...I just excersize more...Or do shakes and smaller portions.
Thanks, though.Mary...thanks for the tip...I'll tuck that away for the next beach trip.