Sunday, August 06, 2006

In the Shoes of...Stephen Gregory Smith



Since the other men who agreed to the "In the Shoes with..." interview have since forgotten or changed their minds about sending the questions back, or maybe they turned down my interview to chat with Barbara Walters instead...I know that many of you have wondered when the next interview would be, so... my bestest friend in the world, Eleasha Gamble, has decided to turn my questioning eye in on itself and ask me some questions for a change. Why not. What do actors do best, but talk about themselves. So, Here it is...a bunch of things that you all probably already know...


Eleasha- When did you know that you wanted to do theatre as a career?

SGS-Around my senior year of high school, when I knew my math scores were too low for me to go into Meteorology, which I was looking at Millersville University for. If I wasn't going to be a Meteorologist, I wanted to be a Tornado Chaser...and this was before the movie 'Twister" came out, folks. I had been doing theatre since I was 10, and had just played Joseph in Joseph and the blah,blah coat. I went to see Sam Harris do that role on tour, and he really served as my idol. I bought his CD's and wanted to sound just like him. I also watched James Dean and Marlon Brando movies, and wanted to act just like they did...if I couldn't chase tornadoes, or try to learn to predict them, for that matter, I would be an actor. Seemed the next logical step, right? I reasoned with my mother that actors probably made more than weather men, anyway. heheheheh. *sigh*

EG- How did you meet Matt?
SGS-1st day of school at Shenandoah Conservatory, I was at auditions for Pippin. I went to the restroom as he was coming out of it. He introduced himself to me, and I thought..."Oh my GOD! He is the hottest thing I have ever seen! He had a boyfriend, of course...so we ended up becoming friends for years before we actually ended up together...it was a long process...I believe the fact that we built such a strong friendship is the reason we have been together for so long...he is my best friend. Besides you, of course.



EG- What was you first show?
SGS-Oliver. I was Oliver. I caught the theatre bug hard and never looked back.

EG- Where do you see yourself in five years?
SGS- Eleasha...I don't know where I see myself in 5 minutes...ummm..I don't know...so much is happening with Matt's music that we could be here, could be in NYC, could be in both places...I dunno. One day at a time. All I ever have envisioned of my future life is the hope of a lively career, health, and a cute little Cape Cod style house that happens to have a wrap around veranda with ceiling fans. Is that too much to wish for? ;)

EG- What has been the happiest moment in your life?
SGS- I can think of many. I love seeing Matt happy...it makes me happy...ummm, what else? The first day I got Buddha...but then every moment with him has been happy. Almost. The first time I saw Nevermore performed. Winning the Helen Hayes Award is pretty high up there. Dunno. I would like to think that the happiest moment of my life is still ahead of me. Keeps me moving forward, you know?

EG- Why are dogs so important to you?
SGS-I grew up with 3 dogs at any given time, plus at least 2 cats at any given time. I have always cared for animals much more than people. They are more honest and more trustworthy. Their love is innocent and unconditional. And they are far wiser than any human I have ever met.

EG- Why are you such a picky eater? Did something happen we don't know about?
SGS-After puberty, I started to develop ridiculous allergies to foods that I had always been able to eat, previously. After several hospital trips due to bananas, carrots, ect, I stopped trying. I also have shellfish allergies. I stick to what I know. Someday I hope I will grow up and try something new, but...have you ever had your throat swell shut? It is the most terrifying thing ever. Your own body is so angry at what you ate that it is trying to suffocate you. You can take your carrots...I'll eat a PBJ instead.





EG- What's your dream role?
SGS- I have already done some. Billy in One Red Flower was a dream come true for me. I've already done Jinx in Forever Plaid. Already done Ren in Footloose twice. Would love to do Jo Jo in The Life. Love to be Jamie in Beautiful Thing. Love to be Jimmy in Reefer Madness. Love to be Charlie in Merrily We Roll Along. And I would be a hell of a Hedwig.





EG- What is something most people don't know about you?
SGS-I am usually broke. I recently have considered taking time off or giving up theatre in order to get a job that affords me to pay my bills. So sad, but true. The money I made in theatre used to be enough for me to live on, (along with my day job), but after 8 years of these gas prices and economy, I can't do it much longer. The saddest fact of all is that I am making more than I have ever made for theatre, and it still isn't enough to pay my loans and rent/utilities, ect. I have no credit card debt, because I have no credit cards...I don't trust myself with them. I wish there were artist grants to apply for that I could attempt...but I really wouldn't know what to write anyway. Hmmm. Sorry...tangent.

EG- What's your most embarrassing moment on stage?
SGS- Too many to count. In Assassins, which just closed, one night I sang, "Czolgosh-working man, born in the middle of Wishigan.." Wishigan. It just came out. Don't know why. That's pretty high up there.

EG- What scares you the most?
SGS- Being without Matt. I could never live without him.

EG- Why horror movies?
SGS- Why not? You act like I am the sole human in the world who likes horror movies...I don't know why....as a child I always sympathized with the villains in comic books. I have always liked horror....since the first time I saw "Night of the Living Dead".

EG- If you could be in a horror movie what movie would it be?
SGS- Dunno. Something awful. Hopefully a zombie flick.



EG- How would you want to be killed in a horror movie?
SGS- I wouldn't. I would want to be the quirky kid...the Matthew Lillard type, who survives because he knows so much about horror movies. Or I'd be eaten by zombies, I suppose.

EG-Explain why you have such a fascination with the weather.
SGS- I think I touched on this earlier...Ever since witnessing a tornado at a young age, I was drawn to what I was frightened of. Wanted to understand it, I guess.

EG- When did you come out?
SGS- Hmmm...It was a long process...I said I was gay in high school, but my Mom , at least I think, thought it was a phase. Really my Freshman year of college is when I really had the conversation of, "No, it's not a phase."






EG-Was it difficult to tell your family and friends? Family?
SGS-Yes...but...at a certain point, it becomes a life or death feeling...like if you don't tell everyone and start being who you are that you will suffocate.

EG- If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? Why?
SGS- ummm...? Dunno...I'm not much of a traveler. Ummm...? I love beaches, so probably something involving a beach. I'd love to go to Great Britain. And to France. Some Caribbean Island, maybe. As long as there were things that I could eat, and as long as I didn't get eaten by a shark. Hmm. I loved Gatlinburg Tennessee. I'd love to see New Orleans. And Chicago. And California...although I don't think I could smoke in that state. Vegas was fun. Sorry, I guess my answer is any of the above. I need a vacation in the worst way imaginable.

EG- If you won the lottery tomorrow what would you do with the money?
SGS- Haha. How often do I have this fantasy? Pay off all of my debt...Buy a house, and a new car...a truck, probably. I've always wanted a pick-up truck. Sink the rest into investments.

EG- If God told you that he would answer one question, what would you ask?
SGS- What does he do with his spare time.

Well Stephen there you are, my 20 questions. I went pretty deep with some of them, I know. Hope you like them.
Love,Eleasha


Thanks, Eleasha. Talk to you later.
Luv,
SGS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a couple more.

1)What's your favorite word?
2)If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

1) Akimbo
2) Willow
Don't know why about either. They were the first things that came to mind.
;)
Miss you, Andy!

Anonymous said...

aww...I miss you too.

Cookiepuss.