Sunday, September 04, 2005

Confessions of a hostess...





OK. So I have hosted at a local restaurant 2 times. I was subbing, because they didn't have a host. So...extra dough, easy work, why not? So what if I feel like Mildred Pierce for a hot second?
This local restaurant is near a certain local theatre, so I happened to be recognized a few times...
"You were great in Urinetown"...one said. Funny. Last I checked, I wasn't IN Urinetown. So I said, "Thanks, some of my best work, I feel."
What would you do?
Once I was on a train to NYC and some little girl thought I was some guy from boy band. I politely said that I was that figure, signed her napkin and went to the club car for a smoke.
Hey, it made me laugh, made her happy, and made the train ride more interesting, why not?
Another person at this restaurant said, "You were so great in Elegies...God, I loved that show.."
I simply said, "Me too..."
I find that this misplacing of me in other casts is not limited strictly to me...
In a review in the Washingtonian for Urinetown... they commented on how they have loved seeing Mr. Gartshore grow in shows such as Side Show, Allegro, 110 degrees in the shade,Elegies, ect...
We both had a tee-hee on that one. Because, last time he checked, he was not a part of the cast of 110 in the Shade..(PS, people...it's 110 in the Shade, NOT 110 DEGREES in the Shade...honestly...)
Another guy, probably a poof, judging from his white wine spritzer and gruff, yet handsome dinner companion, says.."So is this what you do when you're not onstage?"
Buddy, you have no idea. I wanted to say, no really this is only one of the 25 thousand things I do when I'm not onstage...I also walk dogs, balance budgets, live my life, do payroll, balance the ledger, run the scheduling of a company, freelance landscape, AND it just so happens that tonight I am here, guiding you to your seat...and I do all this to afford living the lifestyle I have become accustomed to in Arlington. Coffee?
I didn't, of course. I smiled and all I got out was..."It just so happens..."
And it just so happens that I won't even be doing THAT anymore...they just hired another host! Oh well, Mildred. Back to the perfume counter. You smell of grease, anyway. :)

No comments: