Saturday, September 03, 2005

We'll sing in the Sunshine..."Sweet Freedom"


...Matty, Ryan, and I spent some of the most incredible nights of this past summer aboard the"Sweet Freedom", My friend Kim's yacht.
I celebrated my birthday/4th of July on it....that night was so unreal. To see the fireworks on the Potomac like that...so gorgeous. It was a magical night...
Then came many different days of cruising the Potomac...to feel the wind going through your hair while out on a boat is something that I never had really experienced. Nothing else seemed to matter in that moment...as Matty said, "It was like nothing could touch you..."
I never fully understood the song, "I'd Rather Be Sailing" from A New Brain until actually experiencing the feeling...
The sweet and hot Washington summer air being electrified by lightning bugs as we swam in the twilight...The sun setting behind the Key Bridge...and the wind.
As the wind blows over you, you feel as though you are experiencing a change. A rapid evolution...your thoughts are everywhere, yet no where all at once...and you can't help but have a Cheshire cat's grin on your face at the same time.
We'll venture onto the yacht again...(we would have on Monday, but we'll be at the Kennedy Center)...but the summer voyages are but a part of my summer legend...my romantic, nostalgic memories of the past few months will sail on until I make new summer memories next year...

No comments: