Saturday, September 03, 2005

We'll Sing in the Sunshine..."The Garden"


Anyone who truly knows me, knows that I am a true Cancer. Eleasha always laughs at me, because she says that every time she comes over, which is a lot, that I am working on a new project...whether it be in the home, or in the garden.
It is true. I am a true Cancer...all about my shell..uh...home. My garden has always been a place of solace for me, and is a leading reason why I couldn't move to NYC...If I didn't have my own garden in my own backyard...I think I would shrivel up and die.
This year was a gorgeous year in my back yard. The perennial that I planted a year ago came into gorgeous fruition this year...most notably my hydrangea and "Disco Belle" Hybiscus...
I mostly opted away from flowering plants this year. I dwelled, more specifically on leafy plants...LOTS of different varieties of Coleus...Creeping Jenny, Vinca Variegata, sweet potato vines everywhere of every different variety and color, sedums, hosta, of course, and Yucca.
It was also a fantastic year, climate wise, for plants...at least mine. The tropical summer that we had made my Hibiscus almost as tall as the back door!
I also ventured into water gardening this year...I installed a water feature last summer, and this year planted lily pads in it. There is NOTHING as satisfying as seeing little lily pads spring up from a bubbling water feature and knowing that YOU planted them. I will expand my water gardening next year, and consider this summer my experimentation into it. Next year I will know much more about it, having this past summer as a crash course. (I've read 3 books on it!)
Sorry to get all Martha Stewart on you, but I would be lying if I didn't include this summer's garden among these remembrances. Don't worry...more tits and gore to come in future posts.:)

No comments: