Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Strange night...



So...maybe it's all the slasher flicks I've been watching in my preparation for my favorite holiday, but Matty and I had the strangest night...

We were house/pet sitting for a friend, and I was out walking their dogs late, and saw two spots in the street where the ground had opened and water was gushing out...we're talking flood, here. LOTS of water. I guess a water main broke...I had never seen something like that before, and now laugh at my stupidity when I asked Matt, "Do you think it was an earthquake?"

Then I decide that he and I should walk to the gas station to buy another pack of smokes. We walk, and the woman tending the store looks bewildered. She said.."You walk here?"

We said... "Yes."

She said, "You shouldn't have...too dangerous..."...she proceeds to tell us that a dead body was found this morning in the construction lot that is not 50 yards from where we were standing. Also, (as if that weren't chipper news enough) , another dead body was found slightly further down the street the night before.

Charming, I think.

Matty and I grab the smokes and start to walk home...past the lot that the body was found in...(This is real shit, folks...I know it sounds a little like The Goonies, but it is true!). We walk briskly. Then I say...maybe we should power walk? (I couldn't run, I was wearing my Prada's...ok so I was wearing flip-flops from Old Navy, but still..) We get back to the house, proceed to shut every blind, and hole up in one room with the 3 dogs (who were looking confused). We didn't really sleep a wink, since the house seemed to be "settling" all night, and was giving off strange noises...or maybe those were the dogs...?

All of this wouldn't have seemed so bad, had I not just watched The Hills Have Eyes earlier in the day. *sigh* Over-active imaginations are a curse sometimes.

3 comments:

Ph said...

There was an earthquake in NOVA about two years ago. It's not impossible.

But those creepy noises are why I don't watch America's Most Wanted anymore.

Anonymous said...

could have been a black snake doing that!!

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

A Black Snake...Ms. Giles?