Thursday, September 08, 2005

My Favorite Movies...Sweet Dreams

"I can't stand it. Makes me want to scream and claw my face"

Well...In remembrance of Patsy's Birthday, which is today, I thought I'd do a My Favorite Movies dedicated to this controversial film.

Made in 1985, It featured the divine Jessica Lange, Ed Harris, and a standout performance by Ann Wedgeworth as Patsy's Mother, Hilda Hensley.."I'll Make Your Teeth Rattle!"

I first saw this film in my Junior year of high school, and became Patsy obsessed ever since. In truth, one of the reasons I went to Shenandoah Conservatory was that it was in Winchester, where she (kind of) grew up, and where she is buried. How sad is that? No, how gay is that?There has been lots of discussion in years past about the fact that the script makes Patsy look like a mean and bitchy whore. Some swear she wasn't like that at all. Some disagree.

The actual Hilda Hensley lived down the block from the house I rented in college, and she swore that the film was totally a bogus depiction of 'Ginny'. (Virginia Hensley aka Patsy Cline).

Be that as it may, It is a fine film, and VERY quoteable...as you can see from most of these surrounding quips.

Patsy would have been 73 today, and probably still crooning the Lovesick Blues, had her plane not crashed in 1963. I don't know about you, but I definitely will go out Walkin' after Midnight in honor of her tonight..

Charlie Dick: I want to get to know you better. Patsy Cline: Ok, now what does that mean? Charlie Dick: Means I want to get to know you better. Patsy Cline: See, I figure when you say you want to get to know me better - what you really mean is you want a ten minute screw in the back seat of your car. Charlie Dick: Son of a bitch. You must think that thing between your legs is lined with gold. I can get tail any time I want, I don't have to come crawling after some mean mouthed woman who got a cob crossways. Hell, if I just want to bump uglies with somebody, I got plenty of places to go for that. Patsy Cline: [laughing] Bump uglies? Charlie Dick: That's right. Patsy Cline: My lord Charlie, what a charming expression.

Hilda Hensley: Oh, for heavens sake girl, sit up and take nourishment. Charlie'll have his first leave in three weeks and you walk around with your lower lip draggin' the floor in front of you. You big bawl baby. I oughta fix you a sugar tit.

Hilda Hensley: Well, you're just too mean to live lately.

1 comment:

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I'm all bumped out, myself.