Friday, September 30, 2005

Life is NOT a Cabaret.


Ebony and Ivory 2....a cabaret featuring Eleasha Gamble and Stephen Gregory Smith...November 4th and 5th at Signature Theatre...

Now what you'll see in that cabaret is still unsure...
It always happens this way, folks. Putting a cabaret together is an excruciating, yet rewarding task. And just when you think that you have resolved what your song list is, you listen to all of it in a row, and go...wow....*yawn*.
Such was my yesterday. This is no surprise to me....this happened last year as well...we had just compiled our song list, found some of the music, then realized that we couldn't do some of the songs...they just didn't work.
The problem is this....we need more songs that portray an action...listen up...songs that occupy time away from someone...like...oh....for instance....Drinking Again....or see..I can't think of any....any suggestions?
Recent songs cut: I'm Gonna Be Strong, If you were gay, I Like Beer, Your Smiling Face, Home Again.
Nothing like being down to the wire, huh? No sweat...Eleasha and I put the last one together in 2 weeks...which might happen again...:)

13 comments:

Ph said...

What about something from The Last Five Years, like "I'm Climbing Uphill," or "I Can Do Better Than That"?

Or possibly something from The Life like "I'm Leaving You" or one of those other depressing songs? Maybe you don't want those...nevermind.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

"Fix Pickle" is how I sounded it out, Spinster...interesting...
Phillip...good ideas, but we are trying ti steer clear of A) The Lst 5 Years...we whored it out last cabaret, and plus...its just too overdone now, and B) ballads...one more and I'll slit my god-damned wrist. You know?
*sigh* I'm so sick of wracking my brain about it...my head hurts from too much thinking...

Anonymous said...

Since when is HOME AGAIN cut!?!

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

HAHAHAHAA! I thought you'd catch that!!! Just wishfull thinking, Miss Anonymous Eleasha!

rabbit1970 said...

Have you two heard "I Could Always Go To You" from "Personals" the musical? I told Jenny about it...

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

I have heard it...the problem is...that song is basically about lesbians...not really indicative of me and Eleasha...plus, what that song says, we already have said. You know?
I need to find more.."I went to the grocery store and fell in a hole" kind of songs...now you see why I can't fucking think of any! There ARE no "I went to the grocery store and fell in a hole" songs!

Ph said...

how about something from Zanna Don't? Or perhaps Bare?

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Hmmm...I'll re-explore Zanna...don't know Bare...enlighten me...

Ph said...

you can download 11 songs at www.bareapopopera.com. It's about growing up in a Catholic school and coming to grips with who you are.

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Phillip...I couldn't find where you can download the music...

Ph said...

They got rid of the option, which might be why you can't find it. I'll try to figure out a way to get them to you. It's absolutely fantastic, I don't know if it will have what you want, but you might like it anyway.

Ph said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ph said...

Forgot to put the link on. It's like I'm exploding your comment box...sorry. Anyway, here is the link to the lyrics, there are only 11 songs that were downloadable, but I need to figure out a way to get them to you.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/b/bareapopoperlyrics/

Give me time to think about it.