Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My Recent Obsession...

As John Waters once said, "What is life without being obsessed with something?" I completely agree. I get obsessed with one or two things a week. These obsessions, I frequently call "kicks". They are like torrid and smarmy love affairs that last for 2 weeks, then fade till I remember them a year or two later, then they are again my fancy...thus this CD...
I received "The Annoying Music Show's Songs for People" as a birthday present from my gay-lover-partner-man this past year.
Now, he ordered it from the usually quick as lightning Amazon.com, but for some reason, due to availability or what not, it only came about 2 weeks ago. It turned out to be one of the best presents that I have ever received...
Compiled by Jim Nayder, famed from NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me appearances, this is incomparable. Made up of obscure recordings from NPR, middle schools, old records...you cannot imagine the carnage to the ears that you will endure...but what sweet carnage it is.
My personal favorites include:
"Jesus Christ Superstar on Bagpipes" by the Antigonish Legion Pipe Band
"Whispering" by the Swingin' Sisters of Syracuse
"Disco Jesus" by Tammy Faye Bakker
"Melody of Spring" by Florence Foster Jenkins
and..."Fugue for Tinhorns" by the cast of Guys and Dolls from the Revis High School Thespians...
That last word is definitely in question. The keys that this rendition go through are mind bending...
I cannot stop listening. It has been in my cd player on repeat for 2 weeks. I kiss my boyfriend every time I see him and say Thanks SO much!
You can find this gem on www.amazon.com
Listen and be astonished.

2 comments:

OriordaN said...

My Obsession Is About Read Blogs.. aND I gUEES yours is Nice .

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

well...I guess...thanks!
?