Wednesday, September 14, 2005

On The Heels Of... Donna Migliaccio

Photo by Carol Pratt.

The second installation of "On The Heels Of..." brings us to a DC Theatre staple, Donna Migliaccio. Co-Founding the Signature Theatre in 1989 with Eric Schaeffer, she is a very familiar face to those who patronize the "garage".
She has appeared in numerous Sondheim musicals there, playing such an array of impressive roles, including: Mama Rose in Gypsy, Charlotte in A Little Night Music, Sara Jane Moore in Assassins, Carlotta Campion in Follies, Domina in A Funny Thing...Forum, The Reciter in Pacific Overtures, and Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd, which won her a Helen Hayes Award. She has been nominated a gazillion times, as well.
But most of you know all that. She also makes me laugh, honestly scream laugh at times..(a punchy rehearsal for Allegro at Signature comes to mind..something to do with a schmata...)
Currently enjoying a successful run as Penelope Pennywise in Urinetown at Signature, (too bad its sold out!), I was able to catch up with her between pratfalls, pee-charging, and rubber apron wiping...

SGS: Tell the folks at home a little bit about Penelope Pennywise.
DM: Penny is a big ol’ drama queen. She’s highly emotional and easily angered but just as easily moved to tears. She’d be a boozer if she could get the booze. She also has the attention span of a gnat.
SGS: You have a long record of playing strong women roles. Do you ever yearn to play a softer sort?
DM: Nah. There’s lots of women out there who can play the softies, but I think it takes a lot of confidence and chutzpah to play schemers, bitches and ball-busters. And they’re a lot more fun than the doormats and mommies, anyway.
SGS: Which of these roles from your past was your favorite?
DM: Mrs. Lovett from “Sweeney Todd” – hands down.
SGS: Have you ever done the one titty shake?
DM: I have, and nearly gave myself a black eye in the process.
SGS: Funny you say that...when I do a spellcheck on this page, Migliaccio comes up as "missles"...Interesting...What is in your CD player right now?
DM: The soundtrack to “O Brother Where Art Thou,” Israel Kamakawiwio’ole’s “Facing Future,” Peter Gabriel’s “Shaking the Tree”, selections from Leo Delibes’ “Coppelia,” Lyle Lovett’s “Pontiac” and a CD of sea chanteys.
SGS: Ahoy! When you and Eric Schaeffer founded Signature, did you ever imagine that it would become all that it has in the past 16 years?
DM: I always knew it would do well, but I didn’t dream it would grow as fast as it did in its first five years. I think its next five years are going to be very interesting.
SGS: Any favorite memories from a past production that you find funny enough to share with the class?
DM: I set fire to my purse during Signature’s 1992 production of “Assassins.” I was playing Sara Jane Moore and had to shoot off my blank pistol inside my handbag as I made an entrance. Unbeknownst to me, the repeated firings had frayed the lining of the bag, and at the performance in question, a spark ignited the fabric. Sherri Edelen was playing Squeaky Fromme and in this scene, she had a long monologue while I listened to her and ate chicken and drank Tab. I smelled something funny and realized that the inside of my handbag was glowing. I picked it up and clutched it to my chest to try to snuff the fire, but realized that it wasn’t going out and emptied my Tab can into it instead. Sherri gave me a very strange look (she didn’t realize what was happening) but to her credit, didn’t miss a beat.
SGS: I swear, most of my funny show memories involve Sherri or you! Funny stuff. What is the last movie you watched?
DM: I haven’t been to the movies lately, but I caught “Contact” on HBO the other day and part of “The Grudge” this afternoon before I had to leave for the theatre.
SGS: What are your top 5 favorite films?
DM: In no particular order: “To Kill A Mockingbird,” “Time Bandits,” “Big Fish,” “The Duelists” and “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.” Yeah, I know – not too highbrow.
SGS: Name someone that you admire, and why.
DM: I admire my mother and father for raising seven children who are relatively normal and well-adjusted. I admire fellow actress Dana Krueger for her guts, intelligence and sense of humor, as well as Chan McQuay and Stevie Cupo for their ability to stay upbeat in the face of adversity.
SGS: Dream roles yet to be played?
DM: Love to have a crack at Norma Desmond in “Sunset Boulevard.” I’d also like to play Dolly Levi and the Old Lady in “Candide". Both the mothers in “A Light in the Piazza” are attractive roles as well.
SGS: State a fact that not many people know about you.
DM: I’m a crackerjack whistler.
SGS: Favorite score?
DM: “Sweeney Todd,” although I also love “Pacific Overtures” and “Candide.” I can listen to Carl Orff’s “Camina Burana” anytime.
SGS: What is the secret to being a happy actress?
DM: Work.
SGS: Any advice to upstart actors and actresses?
DM: Work.

Amen, sugar...chat soon!
You can try your best to get a ticket to Urinetown at Signature Theatre, although I doubt you can. Check Craigslist.com under tickets, or you can go to the theatre one hour prior to showtime and wait in case there are any cancellations.
Urinetown the musical, at Signature Theatre till October 16th.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna would be a great Dolly. She'd also be a fabulous VERA in Mame. How about it, Eric?

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

agreed.

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh, Donna in "Sunset" in Signature's new space - I want to see! Make it happen, make it happen!