Saturday, March 11, 2006

In the Shoes of...J. Fred Shiffman


For those who are privileged to know, J.Fred Shiffman is DC royalty. He is a tourist attraction in this town, having been a staple of amazing theatre here since the early 80's.
Here is his official Bio: "J. Fred Shiffman last appeared at Arena Stage as Carpenter 1 in Molly SmithÂ’s production of Sarah RuhlÂ’s Passion Play, a cycle. Most recently he appeared as Johnny The Priest in Anna Christie, Jabe Torrance in Orpheus Descending, Merlyn in Camelot, Walter Abrahmson in An American Daughter and Captain Brackett in South Pacific. His Arena credits go back two decades, and he has appeared frequently at D.C.Â’s Studio Theatre. He played Bottom in A Midsummer NightÂ’s Dream at San DiegoÂ’s Old Globe, and recorded Barefoot in the Park with Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz for L.A. Theatre Works. He is the recipient of eight Helen Hayes Award nominations, and has twice been presented with the award. He is currently an Affiliated Artist at Arena Stage, and a member of ActorsÂ’ Equity for over two decades."

I have had the Priveledge of getting to know him through Damn Yankees at Arena Stage, and we have formed a gorgeous friendship ever since.
Continuing my men's interview series, "In the Shoes of"...I give you the definitive J. Fred Shiffman interview...

SGS- So how did you get started in this business that we call show?

JFS- I was dragged, kicking and screaming, by dear friends from college. Seems I was a funny guy with a knack for improvisation.

SGS- Where did you get your first big break ?


JFS- I've had a few "big breaks". Putting together some quirky comedy sketches and songs got us to New Playwright's Theatre (now Church Street Theater) and that started it all in 1977. Then Zelda Fichandler and Doug Wager saw me in a musical there, brought me to Arena Stage, bought me my Equity Card and I've worked there, almost exclusively, since 1981. Then, while performing my nightclub act ("An Evening Without Liza Minelli") with Tim Grundmann and Dana Vance, we were "discovered" by three agents from William Morris, signed the next morning, and had a good run doing sketch comedy in NYC.

SGS- Tell us about your experiences at the Church Street theatre doing new
and experimental musicals...

JFS-Not unlike the film, The Big Chill, I emigrated to D.C. with my theater friends from West Virginia University. We were somehow brought to the attention of Harry Bagdasian and Ken Bloom, who were running New Playwright's Theatre. We met with them and, comically enough, they hired us! I say comically because they thought we had a show to produce and we thought they had a show for us to star in. Needless to say, we all had to get to work and throw something together. That was a review called "Sirocco"....it was very successful and spawned "Bride of Sirocco", another review. After that, Ken Bloom talked our writer, Tim Grundmann, into attempting his first book-musical. That was "Nightmare", then "Out to Lunch", "Eddie's Catchy Tunes"....the list goes on. Brad Oscar was a high school student from the Burbs who discovered our particular brand of humor there...maybe he can chip in here.....

SGS- What has been your favorite show or theatrical experience that you have
been involved in?

JFS- That's tough after 30 years in the biz! Much of my work with Sarah Marshall @ The Studio Theatre comes to mind....certainly Molly's musicals @Arena, and probably the three days I spent with Laura Linney and Eric Stoltz performing and recording "Barefoot in the Park".
...

SGS- Typically, when not onstage or at your day job, what could one find you
doing in your spare time?

JFS- Cooking, uhm...cooking...uh...did I already mention cooking? Other than that, gardening, playing piano......

SGS- You seem to be in very tip-top physical shape...how do you maintain
this?

JFS- I guess pills/liquor/cigarettes...I dunno....maybe diet and exercise. I run and play tennis and was given a good metabolism. I still have 31" waist pants...just like when I entered the seventh grade!

SGS- When was the last time you were inspired by something?
JFS- Honestly, when I saw Matt's "Nevermore". Prior to that, six viewings of Brokeback Mountain.

SGS- What breaks your heart?

JFS- Injustice...of any kind. It's the Libra in me, I reckon!


SGS- What is something that not many know about you?

JFS- I'm an extremely introverted extrovert.

SGS- When is the last time you cried?

JFS-Let's see...it's March 11th. I guess after my last viewing of Brokeback.

SGS- Top five favorite movies...

JFS- Gee....Brokeback/Seven Beauties/Female Trouble/Schindler's List/Casablanca

SGS- What music have you been listening to lately?


JFS- Gwen Stefani/Coldplay/Brokeback Soundtrack/Blackeyed Peas/Dusty Springfield (forever)......

SGS- Favorite actors?

JFS-Geez.....Ralph Fiennes/Ian Merrill Peakes(sp?)(from those Folger shows)/ Ed Gero/Giancarlo Giannini

SGS- Actresses?

JFS- Judy Dench/Kathy Bates/Divine/Cherry Jones/Laura Linney

SGS- What makes you happy?

JFS- food/friends/wine

SGS- Turn-offs?

JFS- liars/traffic/Right Wing Christians/

SGS- A simple truth that you have learned?

JFS- " do unto others....."

SGS-Advice to those just starting in this business?
JFS- Have something to fall back on...and find time to fall back on it. It's restorative.

Thanks, Uncle Karmine...I will see you soon.
G'Night, all...
Luv,
SGS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorru for the ve ph :-)


Ronnie

Anonymous said...

Hey Squbbies...why is my article getting one undecipherable comment and one piece of spam????
F

STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Wellll...The first post is an apology for a misspelling of my name on another blog, and I deleted the spam...I think that people are intimidated by commenting...what could they add?
I dare them...ask some more...
SGS